Looking for a riding mower

When you take 2LBs of case hardened steel and slam it down on a 3/16 shaft with a small disk on one end, you'd be surprised how many times out of a 5LB bag of those nails, the head flies off, chips, or shatters. I used to design and build my own furniture. Goggles on a nail by the door went on top of my head as soon as I walked in my shop. Extra safety classes that came with all my hand power tools littered the shop everywhere. There was no excuse not to wear them and I went through them like socks and tidy whites. When I needed more wrap around protection down came the goggles.
Only time I got something in my eyes I was drilling pilot holes in a metal framed door for a contact switch. Over my head in the upper frame. Sure enough a small sliver of metal made it around my glasses and in to my left eye. I had a great doctor and he got it right out. But it scratched the crap out of my eyeball and itched like a mother****** for weeks after while it healed.

Moral of the story? I kept several pairs of safety glasses and a couple of pairs of goggles in my work truck after that. And I used them religiously till the day I retired out of that line of work. So no matter the job it always pays to take precautions.

An added problem to the door gig is the wind howls through the open door because of the pressure difference outside and inside. That makes where the shavings go unpredictable at best. I thought my large teardrop shaped lenses would protect me. Obviously not. After that was safety glasses and goggles.

Hell, you can be working on wood that you do not know aged past its date. Hit a nail, get really hurt. Always glad for safety glasses.

It's always easy to say " this can happen ". But matter of fact is, look at how often it actually does happen, AND if it was such a big deal that we always had to be making sure that we were safe, and never take a risk, than we cannot: Drive cars, ride motorcycles, shoot guns at a target range, shoot bow and arrow, use super glue ( it might irritate your skin, so be careful! ) Drive golf carts, Go golfing, take a walk in the woods, ( Might trip and land on a stick ), go for a walk into town, go to a bar, I can go all day long. Why don't we wear a bullet proof vest, a hard hat, safety glasses, work gloves, ear plugs, carhart pants, and roll ourselves in bubbles wrap? That way, our ears are protected from a possible loud noise, if someone shoots us in the chest the vest will hopefully stop the bullet, if we trip and fall the bubbles wrap might save us from some scratches, the hard hat incase a bird poops rocks, carhart pants so you can't run into something sharp and cut yourself, etc. If you take a precaution for every POSSIBLE thing that might just unluckily happen, then you can never ever leave your bed, even then you risk your house caving in on you! Just listen to how ridiculous that is. Yes obviously for somethings you are an idiot not to have proper safety gear on. But you can also just as quickly over do it. So many people can and do say " splinters " but matter of fact is, it really does not happen that often. And this all goes back to my point, wearing safety glasses to putting together a simple bookshelf from china is utterly over done. Do you really think a thousand years ago before any power tool, they had all these worries about " Splinters "?

Anyone here ever see the show " Little house on the prairie"? There were plenty of times where they were at a saw mill. I don't 100% remember if they had any power tools like that then, but I do know whatever they were doing they used their bare hands. They didn't have safety glasses and what not.

Last edited:

Anyone here ever see the show " Little house on the prairie"? There were plenty of times where they were at a saw mill. I don't 100% remember if they had any power tools like that then, but I do know whatever they were doing they used their bare hands. They didn't have safety glasses and what not.
Saw mills and other dangerous professions had a higher rate of industrial accidents in those days, the accident rate is much lower today because safety precautions have been put in place.

Back
Top Bottom