SlOW START UP IN NEWISH COMPUTER

Jules2408

Baseband Member
I have a fairly new (6 months use) higher end Toshiba laptop running windows 7.

For months now the PC has been very slow to start up and load from shut down mode. From the time you switch it on and can begin using the programs it usually takes around 5 to 7 minutes. I don't have any particular aftermarket software loaded that would cause this.

By contrast, my older Toshiba high end laptop running Windows Vista starts up, loads and enables program use from shut down mode quite rapidly.

Can anyone offer the principal causes of PCs being slow to start up (because I know this is a fairly common problem) and I will try to work through them one by one and monitor the results. I am not ruling out some problem with the Windows 7 software itself but I will look at other potential issues first.

My initial thoughts were that the Norton 360 anti virus may be the cause but both laptops have exactly the same Norton 360 program loaded with the same updates so I am fairly sure that the anti virus is not causing the slow start up.

Thank you for comments in advance.

If the laptop was brand new when you purchased it, the laptop was slow from purchase, and the device literally takes 5-7 minutes to boot up, that would indicate to me a hardware failure of some description.

It's not windows 7, windows 7 is fast ( and furious ) jk XD ) so it's something else. My desktop on Win 7 boots up from off too Chrome running smoothly in under 60 seconds.

Over time "crap" accumulates in the background that windows generates then has to keep up with. If left, it can seriously slow down even a hotrod lap or desk system. Some housekeeping is done by windows but in some cases, it just makes it worse.

A lot of us here used these programs to keep our systems clean and happy.
http://www.computerforums.org/forums/cyber-safety-computer-security/pc-cleanup-toolbox-219988.html

I'd advise staying away from BlackViper for now. Some of the suggested settings are for advanced users and may do more harm than good if you don't know what you're doing.

Oh and run a deep virus scan.

You'd be surprised as to how much junk CCleaner can find and get rid of. Also what the specifactions of your laptop?

I have been real busy doing more to my laptop than the law allows. Here's a real good example of what happens in just a week.
1> I have installed the programming software for my models flight computers and speed controllers. They're not big but resource intensive.
2> Run MS office Excel and Word to do office work.
3> On line a lot for myself and work. IE10
4> Installed a WD cloud mirror on my network and installed all the access and maintenance software.
5> Moved more movies from disc to HD.

I had a major slow down yesterday so this morning I ran all my maintenance programs and this is how it came out.
Find Junk Files found 3489 junk files.
CCleaner found 294MB of web junk.
Auslogics Reg Cleaner found 58 errors.
CCleaner Reg Cleaner found 14 more.
MalWareBytes found nothing.
ComboFix found 1 file which turned out to be an App installer for the NAS from WD. Not a false hit as sometimes programmers uses files that have scanners like CombFix erring on the side of caution. Scan took 6 mins.
Defrag and Optimize just the C: partition took a while as I recently added some anime series that have a lot of episodes. From start to finish took 1:35:16.

And well worth every minute invested. My baby's running like the thoroughbred horse that she is. You really should run maint programs at least once a week. A sluggish computer 90% of the times can be traced back to not running routine maintenance programs.
It's not always a hardware problem.

Back
Top Bottom