Best Linux Distro for Dell Mini 1010

niceties55

Daemon Poster
I am looking at taking Windows off of my Dell Mini 1010 and putting a Linux distro on my netbook/laptop and put some life into this computer. Also, where would I get drivers for the components on this?
Thanks!

Here are the Specs:

1.6GHz Intel Z530 Atom Processor
1GB Memory
160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
10.1" Widescreen (1024x600) Display, Integrated Intel 500 Media Accelerator

I run straight Debian an my single core atom asus eeepc. Works good. And most drivers come already build into the linux kernel with exception of a few wireless and proprietary video drivers like Nvidia/AMD. Good luck on finding something you like.

Haven't tried Depian, but it's properly good.
Another good and light one is Lubuntu (Note Ubuntu, Lubuntu. The L is for light).
If you want more of a windows like feel, try ZorinOS

That's depend on your purpise, if you just want a running system on your old stuff, I suggest puppy Linux, flexible and easy to use. If you want to develop, you can use arch Linux without graphic inyerface. Debian also is good. Hope helps :)

Sent from my ASUS_T00F using Computer Forums mobile app

Yeah unfortunately is has gained quite some weight. But you can use other UI's if gnome shell or Unity is too heavy. (as i know you are aware of)
I have heard that Xfce has a good visual to performance ratio. Also refereed to as Xubuntu

Back
Top Bottom