Malware on p2p question?

Gmcsierra

In Runtime
What's the chances of you downloading a file such as limewire or another p2p program and its infected with malware. What's the chances of that malware file changing your p2p settings and adding personal files to the p2p sharing folder? Is that likely for malware to change your settings on a p2p program?

Either out of this world or slim and none. Depends not only what you're downloading, but from where as well. Normally we don't discuss P2P like limewire or Bittorrent but in this case I'll answer the security question itself.
Best to have a good antivirus any time you feel like getting adventurous online. When in doubt, don't.

Agree seti.

I use µtorrent myself. That client is popular and safe to download and install.
So don't worry about the program. What can be dangerous is what you are downloading with it. Not the program itself.

Remember that many torrent files are illegal.

Same. To expand a bit, the security with those programs is about the same as downloading from anywhere else. There is no chance of getting infected if you know the people sharing the files, and your chances get worse the less you know them and the less reputable the people are.

Also beware of programs that have key generators,they always come with trojans and by using an illegal software like bit torrent you are taking a chance of getting your computer infected with something.

illegal software like bit torrent.

Let's just be clear here as this statement is 100% false. bit torrent by itself is NOT illegal. Its what you download that may or may not be legal (I.E. Linux distribution vs. Cracked copy of Windows)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Computer Forums mobile app

Yeah. The only way I've found to get Knoppix and Gimp is when I'm redirected by the software sites to a legit torrent. It's a whole lot faster than a HTTP download.

But other stuff, you take your chances.

Let's just be clear here as this statement is 100% false. bit torrent by itself is NOT illegal. Its what you download that may or may not be legal (I.E. Linux distribution vs. Cracked copy of Windows)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Computer Forums mobile app

Well 99% of people that use those kind of software use it illegally.

Back
Top Bottom