Shopping for a cloud nas box

setishock

Wizard of Wires
With simple apps for remote access. 4TB dual or four bay.
Please skip the build your own. Build my own would not have the cloud features. And I need to be able to configure either raid 0 or jbod.

Budget is $400.00usd max.

I read the reviews on Newegg and for the most part they are very positive. Really only complaint is it's a little slow moving files around. My other 3TB WD external is slow also. But then I'm usually moving massive files out to it like blocks of movies.

You notice any speed drop offs once you get a file transfer going?

When I transfer large files to the NAS, such as a mult-gig movie file or group of files, the transfer starts out kind of slow but seems to be constantly building speed. Transfer may start out at 18MBps but end up at 67MBps. Average seems around 50MB.

I'm pretty sure that one has the same software as the one I posted. The major difference is that the one I posted uses WD Red drives which are specifically designed to be used in a NAS.

Not every one has bad luck with every thing. Some people post bad reviews because they are unwilling or unknowing about something's short comings.

The reviews I read were either straddling the fence or pretty good. I would not have spent the money if I hadn't done my home work.

Besides if it flops, Newegg is going to get it back.

I agree with seti, a lot of bad reviews criticise product functionality, when it wasn't even advertised in the first place that they even have that functionality! Or they write a bad review simply because they do not know how to use the product!

Example: A friend of mine wanted a magnetic window cleaner, ie, you put one half on the opposite side of the window, and the magnet on the inside allows you to clean the opposite side. A lot of reviews said it didn't work... turns out, the advert said "this product will not work on double glazed windows" but people had ignored it and tried to use it with them.

Back
Top Bottom