CPU heatsinks and swapping out the fans

frldyz

In Runtime
So it looks like I am going with an aftermarket CPU heatsink and fan set-up and not a liquid cooling set-up.

I'm looking @ all the options of fans out there. LED. NON - LED etc...

Heres my question?
If I were to purchase a aftermarket CPU cooling unit like ( just for example ) some type of cooler master, and Deep cool etc.... Is it possible to replace the fans they came with, with other fans from another company as long as they are the same size?

For example I buy the CM 212-EVO but want LED fans. Can I just swap the fans for LED fans?

I look @ the db reading on all the aftermarket CPU heatsink fans and they are all over the board. If I were to replace the fan it came with, with a separate fan that has a lower db reading what that work? And would that decrease the db then?

The answer your first question if you can replace the fan on that Hyper Evo, YES you can. I will also quote: "Utilize the included brackets to quickly add or remove fans for upgrades, replacement, or maintenance." Just make sure you buy the right size fan, as you can get anything from 80mm - 200mm. That fan on the Heatsink is 120mm, so make sure that is the size fan you would buy.

Secondly, reducing DB really depends on the fan you get. The Db numbers you get from the listing page ( newegg-amazon-ebay ) are for the particular fan it comes with. If you buy a different fan, if the DB numbers are lower on the new fan then it will be quieter.

Now personally, I wouldn't concentrate on LED's. When I got my water cooler, it came with just a stock corsair fan, I switched that out for a Cougar Vortex HDB, which is a really great fan. Hope this helps :)

I use the Cougar Vortex fans also. 2 for internal circulation, 3 exhaust, and 2 intake. I also have the CM Hyper 212 EVO with the stock fan on the exhaust side. The tape is to block off the back intake and holes not needed for proper air flow. Air comes in the from and out the top and back. My baby sits not 4 feet from me and with the front door shut I don't hear it running.

attachment.php

Backside
attachment.php

Keeping your wiring neat will help with cooling. Keep it tidy and out of the way. Cable straps are my friend.

Last edited:
Be sure to measure how much space you have for a cooler before you order. I hit this issue with an old case I had. I got the new cooler and then discovered that I could not put the side back on.

My fan configuration is set up with two front 120mm's as intake, a side 120mm as intake, a rear 120mm as exhaust, and a top 140mm as exhaust. I was torn between having positive or negative air pressure in my case but the side fan pushes cool air directly into my graphics card so I went with positive.

I have a corsair 760t

Its a pretty big case.
I would assume it would have enough space for most 120 heatsinks?

Be sure to measure how much space you have for a cooler before you order. I hit this issue with an old case I had. I got the new cooler and then discovered that I could not put the side back on.

Yeah I had the same problem with my hyper 212 evo but was no problem just a quick fix with the hammer and all was good ;)

Sent from my VOYAGER2 DG310 using Computer Forums mobile app

You wanna 'splain that one to me? I think I missed something there...

Well my case is a Antec P280. You could park a semi in there.

Back
Top Bottom