Sickening

It's easy to just throw in a video and be done with it...

Fact of matter is that USA have 10.3 gun related death for each 100.000 people on average each year.
Now let's look at the fine country England. 0.25.... wow

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know what you are gonna say. "well, that's only guns. If people don't have guns they are gonna use knifes"
That's true.. but let's look at some other facts then.

16.3 out of 100.000 people are die in America annually. This is both by guns, knifes and whatever. Everything.
Compare that to Europa. 3.0.
(these results includes accidents and suicides)

Here is the list shown in the Video.
Compare USA to any EU country yourself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
All the brag about being at number 111, really don't mean much when we have so many undeveloped countries.

You see. Don't just throw in a video and call it a day. That's not good enough.

Last edited:
At work and can't do my own research but what's the over-all violent crime reates - not just homicides. I'm talking robberies, rapes, assaults, homicides - everything where people are threatened. I've always heard that the US rate was less than that of the UK.

Part of me wouldn't be surprised if that were not true though, our cultures are drastically different and there's a large part of our culture that doesn't care about anyone other than themselves thus commit the violent crime.

I will not go far into this, nor do I plan to contribute to the argument.
My fiance was (almost) raped due to my lack of judgement. Long story short, and I refuse to go into the long story, I caught the man fondling her behind the store that I was in. She was too scared to move. I did somthing.
The point is, it was mostly solved. She still has PTSD from it, and this was a man that we both knew and trusted. My ONLY regret is the trust I gave him. I do not regret what happened when I found him doing what he was doing.
That is all I will say on this subject.

Yes that video is extremely misleading. The US should not compare itself with underdeveloped or war torn countries or countries that are over run with drug cartels but only with other developed nations. On a list of developed nations the US wouldn't look so good.

Here's a link to show US States ranked from least to most violent crime: Slideshow: America's Safest and Most Dangerous States 2014 | Law Street (TM)

I pulled out the top 10 ranked from 10th to 1st:

Oklahoma
Maryland
Florida
Louisiana
Delaware
South Carolina
New Mexico
Alaska
Nevada
Tennessee

As I stated before, southern states are heavily represented in the top 10. Nevada at #2, has very lax gun laws and is one of the least populated states yet has an extremely high crime rate.

What seems to have the most influence on crime is economics. In places where the economy is really bad off such as Detroit, mentioned in the video, crime is high.

I personally don't believe gun control is the answer but I also don't believe more guns is the answer either. Education and job training would probably do more to lower crime in the US then having everyone armed.

Last edited:
Huh, that goes against everything I've been hearing but I can't find anything to prove that wrong. To give you some of my perspective at least I live about 20 miles from Milwaukee (not the world's safest city) and about 112 miles (according to google) from Chicago so I see a fair bit of news about both big cities. Chicago, known for it's tougher gun laws and restrictions appears to have a lot more crime stories than what I see coming out of Milwaukee on a daily basis. And here in Wisconsin, you don't need a permit to openly carry a firearm (assuming you can legally handle one) and concealed carry permits are not exactly back-breaking either.

Now I carry on a daily basis, it's a personal choice as I'd rather have one and never need it than have something happen (ie road rage) and not have it on me. That said I'd agree, arming everyone isn't the answer. There are plenty of people who simply are not comfortable with guns which means they wouldn't handle them safely and are a danger to everyone.

That's a good argument strollin. Education and economy no doubt have a huge impact on crime and violence. (also understand yours Celegrom.)
Still, if you could via magic remove all the guns in america, homicide and suicide will drop. Simply because it's too easy to kill and commit suicide with those things. And because some people are stupid, accidents happens. Like laying a loaded gun around for a kid to find. Accidentally shooting his dad. Or someone misjudge the recoil of an UZI and accidentally kills the guy next to him. Or accidentally firing a gun outside the range resulting in the bullet hitting someone. You hear this all the time in the news.
Not to mention less people will kill in the moment of rage.
You have seen it on TV. A guy freaks out over something stupid, then draws a gun and kills someone. Like the guys who actually managed to kill each other. Simply because of a parking spot. If they only had knifes there would be less change of fatality.

It's difficult to control the use of guns because of the pure number of guns among people.
I think the damage is already done. The number of guns are simply too high to control, as of right now. I think gun laws will help reduce it over time.
Ofcause i am not taking about removing guns 100%. But having laws like the once in the UK or in general most of EU, would do great to reduce murder and accidental deaths. It's impossible now, but I say start by banning everything automatic, and stop selling common ammo for assault rifles. It's a start. Then later making it illegal to carry guns in public if you are not transporting them (having them locked in a suit case or something. Anything but in your pocket and ready to use). This is my opinion. Yours may be different. It's alright.

Real quick. I have to correct something in my previous post.
16.3 out of 100.000 people are Killed in all America annually. This is both by guns, knifes and everything.
Compare that to Europe. 3,0.
The results are all "unlawful death purposefully inflicted on a person by another person" as it says in the list

I recommend forgetting the above statement, and just focus on the link to the list the video talked about. There you can compare country by country instead of comparing continent by continent. (mainly because south America drags the rest of america way down in the comparison. Hints 16.3 vs only 3.0)
You will see that the US unfortunately still scores poorly compared to the EU countries.

Last edited:
The below text is the intentional homicide rate per 100,000 people for each country. These figures obviously aren't affected by South America crime rates, the figure for the US is still substantially higher!

23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom -- 1.0
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States --- 4.7

Back
Top Bottom