New Graphics Card

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Hey there guys and dolls,

Been a long time!
Just popped in for a quick piece of advice.

I've just built myself a new PC mainly for home work stuff, VS, SQL and office so i got an i5 4570, 8Gb 1866Mhz RAM and a 240Gb SSD but i didn't bother with a graphics card other than to to get more monitors so i got this: EVGA GT 610 1GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

Then i treated myself to a Thurstmaster T300 steering wheel and racing seat setup initially for the Ps4 and now i've started playing some racing simulators on my PC namely iRacing and rFactor and of course my graphcis are awful with that card.

So bottom line is i need to up my GPU, i'm still not overly serious about PC gameplay but i don't want to see square blocky graphics when playing my game, i don't wonna be sat at 1080p and 50 FPS or anything, just something playable and not painful to look at.

I'm looking at either the GT730 or GT740 so £40 - £60 price range, I don't really wonna spend over that. Any suggestions? Will i actually see a performance increase with that?

To be fair iRacing actually doesn't look to bad but rFactor looks pretty poor.

Also not thinking about gaming i went with a cheap PSU as well : Xilence (550w) Red Wing Series Power Supply Unit (black) - Ebuyer
Which i'm hoping i won't have to upgrade :(

Hey there guys and dolls,

Been a long time!
Just popped in for a quick piece of advice.

I've just built myself a new PC mainly for home work stuff, VS, SQL and office so i got an i5 4570, 8Gb 1866Mhz RAM and a 240Gb SSD but i didn't bother with a graphics card other than to to get more monitors so i got this: EVGA GT 610 1GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

Then i treated myself to a Thurstmaster T300 steering wheel and racing seat setup initially for the Ps4 and now i've started playing some racing simulators on my PC namely iRacing and rFactor and of course my graphcis are awful with that card.

So bottom line is i need to up my GPU, i'm still not overly serious about PC gameplay but i don't want to see square blocky graphics when playing my game, i don't wonna be sat at 1080p and 50 FPS or anything, just something playable and not painful to look at.

I'm looking at either the GT730 or GT740 so £40 - £60 price range, I don't really wonna spend over that. Any suggestions? Will i actually see a performance increase with that?

To be fair iRacing actually doesn't look to bad but rFactor looks pretty poor.

Also not thinking about gaming i went with a cheap PSU as well : Xilence (550w) Red Wing Series Power Supply Unit (black) - Ebuyer
Which i'm hoping i won't have to upgrade :(

Regarding the GPU, I have the 730, I think it's great and it should do a pretty good job I think. So yeah in that price range I'd say go for it :)

You need a video card with GDDR5 in it, not DDR3.

Cheap PSUs can spell doom to your system so yeah, you need to upgrade it.

Last edited:
A good power supply? Who needs it?... computer literally explodes. Celery is right on the money. Please get a better power supply. You will thank yourself later.

I would third that, you've got an i5, 250GB SSD, so with that in mind it's worth not skimping on the PSU! It may not directly impact the speed of the PC, but certainly under higher load you're better off with a known brand (worth researching, some are better than others!)

As for the graphics card, The GT730 is definitely better than the GT610, but the GT740 in my opinion is a big jump over the 730, and the GTX750 is a big jump over the GT740. If you can stretch your budget to ~£85, then the 750 is a much better choice. If you really want to spend below 60, then it's probably worth looking at the GDDR5 versions of the GT730, but if you start looking at the better versions of the GT740, you're pretty much in GTX750 territory anyway!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom