implementing a file transporter

purge

Solid State Member
Hi,

Hope someone can help. Not sure if anyone here has heard of file transporters?

Below is a series of google images of file transporters

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...Mb1EaqP7AaJ9oHoCg&sqi=2&ved=0CAkQ_AUoBA&dpr=1

We have 2 sites and want to do away with our windows server due to support costs, the option was to have a file transporter at each site, but I am wondering whats the best way to impliment file transporter safely? considering loss of data or security issues.

Our data usage is very light where we only use 80 gig at one site.

What I think you want is "Network Attached Storage" (NAS). It's basically an external harddrive with it's own network connectivity, it's a mini file-server really.

I'd have thought it would be about as safe as a Windows Server, some come with their own security etc.

what data/security issues do you have?

the iphone/android apps make me thing that files *may* be exposed to an API for easy connecting, (but that easy connecting might end up being a data leak one day!) -not that I'm saying that the OS is insecure, but handing off access to a 3rd party that you cannot vet is a risk that should be considered.

Do you currently use anything to replicate data between your sites, (e.g. DFS?) if you just have two files servers (one at each site) that are not replicating anyway, then these replicator things might be overkill for what you need.

If your primary focus is reducing costs then just don't upgrade windows? - the only cost is when you buy new!

if you want to stay current with your OS versions, (because you have a compliance issue that mandates that you must -so just leaving the existing servers you already paid for in place isn't an option) then you need to be looking at something like Linux and Samba for windows file and print sharing services without the need for a server license...

if you do have these compliance issues then you may find that almost no existing commercial NAS is strictly "suitable" as they generally all run some version of Linux, and generally never receive kernel updates of security patches.

Back
Top Bottom