Do you wait until the gas gauge shows E?

strollin

Knowitall!
I'm curious about whether others wait to buy gas until the gauge shows E for empty. My oldest son is like that but my younger son is like me and doesn't like to let the gauge go below 1/4 tank.

When do you decide it's time to put gas in the tank?

I usually fill up somewhere between 1/4 and E, in the winter the extra weight helps keep me on the road so when possible I'll keep it above half a tank.

If I'm anything below 3/4 and gas goes up a few days in a row I'll top off though to save the buck on a full tank.

I usually make it a point to fill up when it's under before it gets to 1/2. The way I see it, if there is an emergency of sorts and I need to drive far I want to have gas in the car. I don't mess around with that.

I usually gas up when it gets down to 1/8 of a tank, but I don't like to let it dip below that. It's a good thing that gas prices are low right now. I hope they stay low for awhile.

Depends where I'm headed. I'll drive around on E for a few days before filling back up (great mileage, work is close by). On the other hand, if I'm headed out of town, I'll fill it even if it has over half tank.

I fill up whenever possible as I like to keep a full tank should emergency arises or when SHTF.

For now I'm keeping it topped while the gas is cheap because the next day may be a big hike.

Company car gets filled up when the light comes on or thereabouts.

Personal car gets filled up at around a quarter of a tank.

I have the needle gauge, but also an estimate of miles to the next fill up written on the dash.

the light comes on when there is about 1/10th of a tank remaining, (almost on E) but the display says 60 or 70 miles remaining.

so I keep driving,
after a while the dash display seems to give up, with about 30 miles of so left to an empty tank it stops telling you how far it thinks you can go. after that's happened it's usually time to pull into the next fuel stop.

The day one of you E drivers posts this: " So I was driving home today, but had to take a detour and ended up running dry after the E light came on" I will laugh so hard :D

A few years back I had an employee come back late from lunch. When I questioned him as to why he was late, he said he ran out of gas. I told him, "Don't you watch your gas gauge?" and he replied, "Yeah, but the little light showing empty had only been on for 2 days. Usually I can drive 3 or 4 days with the light on." Facepalm.

Back
Top Bottom