Will Upgrading My OS Wipe My Hard drive?

HammyCakes

Baseband Member
Hello friends! I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit. Will simply upgrading force me to wipe my OS, or will everything be like normal but with the new OS. I would like to avoid having everything moved to Windows.old if possible. Thanks for the help in advanced!

windows anytime upgrade only changes the system files (or so it claims anyway). Windows.old will only contain the system files for the previous version of windows in case you need to roll it back for whatever reason.

However, I strongly recommend taking a backup of everything important to external media before you do anything that involves changing system files.

source:
Untitled.png

Last edited:
sometimes installed applications may not work properly and will required to re-install after the upgrade process.
However if it is so, no solution. You can't backup installed applications.

All though that will hold true for 3rd party, M$ software will adapt to the new OS just fine. Your windows updater is going to be busy for a while. Can you tell I've been down the same road?

Just to be safe though, BACK UP anything and everything that is important to you BEFORE you run the upgrade. Better to be safe than real sorry later on. Newegg has WD 1TB external drives for under a 100 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom