small speaker amp

cole102

Solid State Member
Hi, my dogs have been possible in the garage for the last year or so. A couple weeks ago I decided to order a network camera from dlink. This camera is supposed to have a speaker so I can yell at my dogs remotely. The problem beeing that the speaker is obnoxiously quiet, even when on max volume.

I'm going to cut that speaker out and connect an amp to its wires. Do I need to know anything in regards to the input source from the camera. Output is obvious, you attach an external power line directly to the amp and the signal output to the speaker.

But do I need to know anything about the input signal? I just don't want to buy an amp and find out that the signal from the camera is to week for the amp or something.

Thanks

The impedance from the speaker wires will be different than the impedance to the input of the amp.

How that will work is hard to say but do your device have a line out? You can use that.

On second thought, Are you sure it has a speaker and not a mike?

Last edited:
Yes it has a mic and a speaker. there is a red and a black wire running to the speaker from the board

I see so that's the tele-conference thingy you called network camera? I don't know about these things. :)

Nevertheless, the speaker should have some volume on its own.

It's a dlink fish eye camera. I have the volume set to max. I was hoping to replace that speaker with a better one. Even the one in my s5 is way way way lauder and it's just a little phone speaker.

Attachments

• 20150227_185306.jpg
    20150227_185306.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 5
I would imagine I can't just replace the speaker and solve the problem. I probably need to increase the power comming from those wires?

It looks like a piezo speaker. I don't know what impedance those run on.

Could the speaker be defective? You could hook those wire to an amp and amplify it but I won't guarantee it.

Also there's no way to increase the power of the speaker without making a mess of it.

I thought it was defective aswell then I read a review that said the volume sucks. Dlink hasn't returned my email from 3 days ago

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

What do you mean by increasing the power to the speaker making a mess of it?

It's a solid state board and wave soldered by machine. Nearly impossible to do it by hand.

It's a lot easier to hook the wires to an amp. You'll have an impedance mismatch but it might work. Find one of the cheapie guitar amp on CL and get a jack and some wires to plug it in.

Back
Top Bottom