Wireless Repeater Troubles

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So I have a Wireless Repeater from Winstar I brought a while back and have decided to set it up. Now I plug it in to the powerpoint and let it power up, Connect to the network to setup and obtain IP via DHCP no problem but when I try to set it up in "Wireless Repeater Mode(Station)" instead of "Standard Wireless AP Mode" it says
400 Bad Request

Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request.
and does not even give me the option of the network I wish to connect to.

Model is WS-WN518N2 Wireless-N AP/Repeater_Wireless Repeater_Wireless&Networking_Shenzhen Winstars Technology Co., Ltd. - Powered by Winstars IT Department, Manual is tricky to find but I find it here http://www.win-star.com/download/Drivers/WN518N-Manual-V1.1.pdf and the downloads page Firmware List_Download_Customer Service_Shenzhen Winstars Technology Co., Ltd. - Powered by Winstars IT Department but it isn't show firmware for my model. I have sent an email requesting the latest firmware but have not received a response. Anyone have any fixes?

BM4uZ10.png

I don't mean to be a gravedigger but is anyone able to help me at all. When I type in the IP address of 192.168.10.1 into the browser it shows an index page with a list of links. I cannot upload new firmware as it says the connection has been reset. Is it possible to upload it another way?

a7zip3Q.png

Most routers have another mechanism, such as XML configuration upload facility. However, they are becoming more and more proprietary (and binary encoded) so you can't edit them without using the GUI :(
Try downloading the config from the backup page (if that works) and then seeing if it's human-readable.

Best of luck

Was the router new when you bought it? Perhaps someone has changed the default IP address of the router. You could try doing a reset of the router back to it's factory settings.

It might be worthwhile to do a factory reset regardless and if you can't access the router admin page at the default IP address then I would surmise it is defective.

Last edited:
Was the router new when you bought it? Perhaps someone has changed the default IP address of the router. You could try doing a reset of the router back to it's factory settings.

It might be worthwhile to do a factory reset regardless and if you can't access the router admin page at the default IP address then I would surmise it is defective.

I agree with strollin, if you reset it and it's still giving the error, then the device is faulty/unfit for purpose and you should get a refund so you can purchase another product.

I wouldn't mess with it too much, if their support is that poor you don't particularly want to be doing business with them!

Are you connected to your normal wifi router, or to the extender itself?

Try typing in the command prompt: ipconfig /all could you paste the details here?

So I've decided to tackle this again since it is sitting in my draw. I've contacted the company which is in China and boy was it not easy trying to talk with someone, I was able to get transferred to a lady who spoke reasonably good english she gave me her email address to make it a bit easier. I've sent a picture of the back of it as requested and waiting to hear back.

As for my own troubleshooting, I've tried to access it using FTP, SSH and Telnet but no luck. Hopefully they'll send firmware or something as they have the firmware to download, You have to email details which I did ages ago but never received a reply.

Just reading over your thread and honestly it looks to me like you probably just have a faulty device. You should be able to reach the config regardless of the mode you've put the ap in. The "400 bad request" message sounds to me like your browser was sending something the ap did not like, or vice versa. Most likely you've already tried other browsers such as IE, but that's what I would do. I'd try it in IE and add the IP address to the "trusted sites" area, in case some scripts from the AP are getting blocked by the browser. Hopefully support will be able to help you out further.

Just tried that and didn't work. I am thinking that there is a way to flash or completely restore it with a firmware update or image of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom