Looks like I'm getting a dash cam

The drivers here are awful.

Cutting corners, pulling out in front of you, etc.

I remember when roadrage was a much talked about thing.Some people take things way too far though.There are always people competing against eachother weaving in and out of traffic trying to be ahead of everyone else.

I think your dash cam will come in handy. (IMHO)

I'm a safe driver and I obey every aspects of the traffic law. Too many drivers here are impatient and distracted.

Worse of all, a lot of them are drunk. We have a bad case of drunk driving here.

Maybe I'm missing something, forgive me if I'm not seeing the "big" picture.

There are marginal drivers wherever you go, that will probably never change. But if someone cuts you off or runs stop sign or whatever but it doesn't result in an accident, of what value is the dash cam then?

If you have an accident, the dash cam should definitely help you prove fault but how often do you have an accident?

To me, having a dash cam is like owning a gun for protection, it's something that, in the event it is actually needed, could be invaluable. However, the odds are low that it will ever be needed.

I've heard that rear dash cams are required by law in Japan. I probably would not install one in my car unless it was required by law since I don't feel the need.

Hope you get lots of use out of yours (do you really want that statement to be true?).

In Russia, lots of them got dash cams because of insurance scams which could happen here.

What they were doing was that they stop their car and back up into you then claim that you ran into them. They'll sue for damages and whiplash injuries.

I see no harm in having one and they sure can come in handy in protecting me.

Oh, by the way, I have a gun for protection. :)

It's better to have one and not need it than it is to need one and not have it.

There are marginal drivers wherever you go, that will probably never change. But if someone cuts you off or runs stop sign or whatever but it doesn't result in an accident, of what value is the dash cam then?

Just because an accident didn't happen doesn't mean the cam is useless though. What they are doing at the minimum is reckless driving (tickable) to reckless endangerment which can be jail-able (if I'm understanding Wisconsin law). If Desired Celery could still take the video to police to get these people off the road to really ensure that nothing bad happens.

I'm not sure if the police would act on a video you took to them. I could be wrong about that though.

I see no harm in having one and they sure can come in handy in protecting me.

Oh, by the way, I have a gun for protection. :)

It's better to have one and not need it than it is to need one and not have it.
I agree that in the rare instance you need one, it would be nice to have the video to back you up.

The logic behind "better to have one and not need it..." is false and always has been but people use it anyway. Using that logic, we would not be able to leave our house since we would need to carry so much stuff with us because we just might need it even though the chance of needing it is very remote. For instance, do you carry an umbrella with you on a sunny day? No, of course not, because the odds are low that you will need one that day.

I apologize if I'm coming off as saying you shouldn't have a dash cam, I don't mean to be coming off that way, I am just stating reasons why I wouldn't use one. I might regret my decision one day.

If Celery doesn't mind the debate in his thread then I'm just going to reply quick again. I see the point you're trying to make with the umbrella but I don't think it's accurate when compared to the dash cam (or carrying a gun as it's been brought up).

If you forget an umbrella and it rains you have a little inconvenience and get a little wet but that's pretty much it. Where I'd put the dash cam is in the lines of car insurance where should the worst happen your life could be forever changed. IMO, like car insurance you get a dash cam in the hopes that you're simply pissing the money away.

I think it's a good investment, especially when it's 50% off and good ratings.

Also there's more uses for it beside putting it on the dash. I could record myself playing my guitar for example.

Or I could put it in my pocket when I go to a store and something happened there that I could record it.

Or I could hold it under women's dresses and get panty shots. :D

See? Many uses. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom