New build help

si7777

Beta member
Hey,

So I've built my friend the exactly the same computer as mine except the power supply, Every seems to have connected fine but when I turn it on it doesn't display nothing on screen and then after like 30secs to 1 min it willl just reboot itself seems like a continus loop of restarting and rebooting whilst not displaying anything..... any ideas.

Computer specs are...

Intel I5 3.2ghz 4460 processor
ASRock Mod 1150 H97M Motherboard
8gb Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 Mhz CL11 XMP

Any more specs needed just ask, just don't know where to start.

Thanks

Several things to try and consider.

1. Do you get any beep codes or do you see any led post codes on the motherboard?

2. Try each ram stick solo in the first slot (closest to the cpu socket) Does that have any effect at all?

3. If step 2 makes no difference try it with no ram and see if there is a change.

4. If step 3 makes no difference try running the computer with the onboard graphics or if thats what you have hooked up try using a dedicated graphics card. The computer could be trying to find a video signal and restarting upon failing to do so.

5. As a last resort try reseating the cpu and see if that makes a difference. I suspect its the cpu causing the issue.

HHMM it could be the processor (it could actually be almost anything) but I suspect the RAM modules at this stage. Take the RAM modules right out and then reseat them, Do not try to reseat them without removing them completetly this will not work in my experience. As I say remove the modules completely and then reseat them in their slots. It could also be faulty RAM. Remove one RAM module completely and try it with just 4GB in. If it still doesn't work try it with the other module in.

Hey Thanks for the replies,

I built like the exact same computer a week or two ago and works 100% fine,

I have taken out the RAM modules, replaced them with mine in my RAM in my computer and still the same result,

Also get the same result when I try without any RAM at all,

Tried reseating the processor but still the same result.

1. Do you get any beep codes or do you see any led post codes on the motherboard?

No beeps at all

2. Try each ram stick solo in the first slot (closest to the cpu socket) Does that have any effect at all?

Same result

3. If step 2 makes no difference try it with no ram and see if there is a change.

No result

4. If step 3 makes no difference try running the computer with the onboard graphics or if thats what you have hooked up try using a dedicated graphics card. The computer could be trying to find a video signal and restarting upon failing to do so.

No result

5. As a last resort try reseating the cpu and see if that makes a difference. I suspect its the cpu causing the issue.

No result

Okay a couple more things to try. Disconnect all the peripherals such as hard drive, cd/dvd player and floppy disk drive if fitted. It wont boot but you should get the initial AsRock splash screen and the bios info screen showing on the monitor if any of that stuff is preventing the display and boot. Power supply. You say it is different from your mates supply. Is that faulty only way to know without any test gear is by substitution. Failing all that then it has to be either faulty RAM, unlikely to be both modules. Faulty CPU or faulty MB. Go through all the connections using the manual that came with your MB with a fine toothcomb I'm afraid that even new MB and CPUs can be faulty from new as can anything else in the build. The stuff we suggested you try initially was the easy stuff to try. If they haven't sorted it out then it becomes much more difficult. What about the graphics? Are you using on board graphics or have you fitted a graphics card. Again because you have already built a pc to the same spec and that works it isn't likely to be a bios setting but the graphics card could be faulty. Take it out and try it with on board graphics if you have that facility. Dont forget that there might be a bios setting that you may have to alter to allow you to use on board graphics although most bios these will automatically detect which sort of graphics you are using.

If disconnecting peripherals doesn't work and a different psu doesn't make an impact then its probably the mb.

Are there any bent pins on the cpu slot on the motherboard? (it'll be obvious if you look at an angle to the cpu socket, the light will reflect off bent pins differently)

Hey sorry

had to stop testing it for the day as something else popped up,

I tried disconnecting the peripherals but got the same result, I also swapped the power supply and the RAM out of my machine and still got nothing,

You mention about a Asrock splash screen I do not get that at all.

Joedaman633 when I reseated the CPU I had a quick look when I lifted the CPU up and 1 of the pins look a bit meh on it,

I'm planning to take it some where tomorrow, I just feel pretty bad for my mate been waiting for this all week and now he has got nothing at the moment and I feel like it's kinda my fault even though it really isn't as far as I know.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

If the motherboard does have a faulty pin, I should just send it back and get a replacement right? without too much hassle I mean.

I just realized you got an Asrock mobo. Does the pins look uniform, nice and evenly spaced?

I got an Asrock H61M mobo and the pins looked damaged so I sent it back to Newegg. They refused it claiming that I damaged it.

I raised all kinds of hell and wrote a bad rating on resellersrating. That got their attention and they replaced the board. That's what I have in my i3 system but I'm using my i5 system.

Back
Top Bottom