driver issues

Hey,

The "Unknown Device" is a device on the PC that does not have the drivers installed. I would advise you to try and locate the device that this is, and install the latest drivers from the Sony website. You're better not to disable this as it could be important.

In device manager, expand the section called "Display Adapters." What is listed? If it says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" (or something similar) then you do not have the graphics card drivers installed, and you need to locate and install these from the Sony website.

When he says "update the video card," he means installed the latest drivers (software) for that graphics card. As above, these will be found on the Sony website (when you select which model laptop you have).

I hope this helps.

-Joe

i went back to the device manager screen and i have nothing that starts with v. apparently it got lost in the upgrade. it is not showing a video card. am i screwed?

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

joedaman633, to answer your question, i opened the display adapters field and the only thing listed is Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. same question, am i screwed?

No, that's exactly what I was expecting. You're missing your actual video card driver, which is causing the monitor to not show up.

EDIT:
The easiest way is actually what Joedaman said, go to the Sony (or whatever model laptop you have) and search the model number (found on the bottom of the laptop on a silver sticker (maybe black) somewhere).

There should be a Graphics Driver or Video Driver you can download for the laptop and that will fix this whole mess.

thank you all for your help. i am very upset right now. i purchased the reimage plus software and when we got thru the credit card stuff, a screen came up and said call this number to activate your software. after the fact i think i fell for an effort to get more money out of me. the sales guy had a very thick accent and was very pushy. he tried to scare me into believing that my computer was in very bad shape and it would take more than reimage plus to solve my problems.

back in the xp and vista days and before, you could go online and learn things and find things that would help you. now, even on freeware.com, there are traps trying to get you to spend money. im almost glad i am getting old and wont have to put up with this bs much longer.

It seems as if everywhere you turn, someone is trying to take advantage of your ignorance about things that you dont use all the time.

rant over

once again, the help i have received on the forum has been helpful and has taught me some new things. i thank you all.

radome

Did that work then?

Also, as a 'young whipper snapper' who spends too much time on the computer, you should know this:

1. NEVER click "Yes" on ANY web page unless you specifically requested something (e.g. clicked download)
2. NEVER, F----NG EVER call any number on a pop-up. Even if it's something that you downloaded to accomplish something, do NOT spend money on software without first checking into it. The best way is to just google it. "Reimage plus review." The third result will tell you it's adware and a scam. Uninstall it yesterday.
3. Unless it's a well known company (and this isn't even always accurate), do not give financial details. It doesn't matter what they tell you, don't do it. If your PC is as jacked up as they say it is, well then I guess it's not getting any worse while you check into their claims. Right? Don't trust people who want money.

Other than that, do not hesitate to ask someone.

Always check reviews on stuff and research a solution before you try it on your personal device. You never know what some of these apps have in them.

thank you for the advice. i think i am ok with what i did. i just hate it that all that stuff gets in your way.

my computer is being examined as we speak and is down to the stability check then will finish up with the security check in reimage. i am really excited to see what my computer looks like after reboot. thank you for all your help and i am sure i will need more in the future. you have all been very kind.

radome

my computer is being examined as we speak...

If that doesn't turn out how you expected it should have, or they ask for more money, we have some guides on how to do these things. First, I would start here:
http://www.computerforums.org/forum...er-software/how-clean-infected-pc-223695.html

Then go through this one:
http://www.computerforums.org/forum.../tips-make-windows-7-8-run-better-224958.html

*note: Where he has the screenshot of the startup items, you can realistically disable everything except an antivirus program.

iPwn, once again, thank you for the help. on monday, when i get back to that laptop, i plan to use the links you posted to educate myself. my computer is working fine and if i am not able to get the external monitor to work, the laptop has a 17" screen. I'm not that blind yet. however, at this point, i feel extremely confident that armed with the help from you guys i will get everything working like it is supposed to.

thanks,

radome

Are you sure about that model #? I looked on the Sony site and there is no vgn-120aw listed. There is a VGN-AW120J - here's a link: Sony eSupport - VGN-AW120J - Support
Is that the laptop you have?

If so, it says you have Nvidia graphics in that machine. It has a Win 7 video driver available, you might try downloading and installing that to see if it will work.

Last edited:
Hey strollin, thanks for the help. i must have entered the model number wrong. the vgn-aw120j is the model i have. i was able to go to the sony website and downloaded the driver i needed to make my external monitor work.

thank you all for the assistance and thank you for willing to take the time to help someone who has only a basic understanding of how to function in a computer environment.

now all i need to do is go thru a couple of links that iPwn gave me to make my computer run better.

you guys are awesome

radome

Back
Top Bottom