Why does free software exist?

jakeny

Baseband Member
Wasn't sure where to put this question, so hopefully this is the right/best spot. :)

There's a lot of free software out there. I just downloaded free Avast anti-virus over the weekend, for example. My question is: why is it free?

Don't people who make good software want and/or need some kind of profit in return? How can people "afford" to spend time on such things and give it away for free (particularly if it's a good program that people would buy)?

I've always been curious about this.

Not knowing the real differences that an end user would see between avast free and their paid version I can tell you the general idea is to get you hooked but show you there's still something better that you have to pay to get.

Other free software can (in my opinion) fall into 2 categories - Free Free, or Ad-based. To start with Ad-based, this is software where they know the end users are cheap SoBs who really don't want to pay for anything (I'm including myself in here). So they get their money in 2 ways - Ads displayed while using the program or people blindly clicking "yes" to installing all the extra crapware like tool bars or other applications.

Free-Free software is done by people who just really love making software or just otherwise have a passion for what they do and think everyone should have access to it.

Also too, a recent article I read stated that over 75% of the free software in the Android App store was stealing your info (I question that statistic). E.g. You download and agree they can crawl through your device, they find everything they can and then sell that personal data to a company like Experian. Personal data is big business these days.

Also too, a recent article I read stated that over 75% of the free software in the Android App store was stealing your info (I question that statistic). E.g. You download and agree they can crawl through your device, they find everything they can and then sell that personal data to a company like Experian. Personal data is big business these days.

Yes I question that 75% of free software in the android app store is stealing your info. That figure should read 100%

It is completely different for everyone. A company like Avast usually wants to push their product to a higher market. (AKA Those whom own a busigness. )
I design software for the fun of it.
One person that I know makes it and includes ads in the software as an added feature. (They do not get in the persons way.)
Then you have people with malicious intent.

a late post by me I know, but this thread interested me as I too wondered about freeware ;)
I must say though that there are some out there that really enjoy helping others.
Look at the guy who wrote malwarebytes. IMO the best malware removal program out there.:cool:

Interview with Malwarebytes' founder, Marcin Kleczynski - TechSpot

I know several computer service guys who swear by it and use it daily on their customers PC's.
How many here use it I wonder?

Last edited:
We could all sit here posting "ME!", but the fact is its pretty much the second stop before a long journey for most of us.

Back
Top Bottom