Windows 7 Home Premium Wifi Question?

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So at school the Education Department provides a secure network for students and staff to use their own devices but cannot access network shares or printers. I have trouble connecting to it and the security is WPA2 Enterprise everytime I enter my network credentials it says "Windows is unable to connect to this network", I know my that its not login details as I just reset my password. I've also checked to see if my proxy settings is set to automatically detect and they are as that could cause issues. Is there anything else I should check in the control panel?

My question is can Home Premium versions of Windows connect to networks using enterprise level encryption.

Last edited:
That really is a tough one.
Perhaps your school can answer that better than we can? It has nothing (that I know of) do do with your OS, more like changes to the network.

That really is a tough one.
Perhaps your school can answer that better than we can? It has nothing (that I know of) do do with your OS, more like changes to the network.

Yeah I will check the IT guys and see what they say. I am pretty sure that my old ASUS laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium was able to connect to the same network with no problem and both laptops have the same WiFi adapter installed.

I don't know if this will work as Windows is unable to connect to the network and therefore cannot save the network its in list of saved wireless networks.

Could this be anything do with blocking my connection using MAC Address filtering?

Last edited:
Hey guys. So at school the Education Department provides a secure network for students and staff to use their own devices but cannot access network shares or printers. I have trouble connecting to it and the security is WPA2 Enterprise everytime I enter my network credentials it says "Windows is unable to connect to this network", I know my that its not login details as I just reset my password. I've also checked to see if my proxy settings is set to automatically detect and they are as that could cause issues. Is there anything else I should check in the control panel?

My question is can Home Premium versions of Windows connect to networks using enterprise level encryption.

Yes win7 will connect to these new software,i have an example my router is this new tech an AAris TG862 Xfinity,and my old Hardware and software altogether like win vista, winx, linux,will not connect to the wireless Tg862,with any secure WPA2 ,But in Win 7 it works great, i had to connect an extra router with DD-WRT software installed and now can use a secure WAP2.

I don't know if this will work as Windows is unable to connect to the network and therefore cannot save the network its in list of saved wireless networks.

Could this be anything do with blocking my connection using MAC Address filtering?

It could be blocked, but schools/education facilities don't tend to do this as students have that much technology that it would be a pain to set it all up!

It doesn't have to be a saved network. If it's not saved, just skip the "Delete" steps and set it up manually following the steps from step 4.

Frank has a point too, if the Windows software doesn't work, then try downloading a third party wireless internet manager,

It could be blocked, but schools/education facilities don't tend to do this as students have that much technology that it would be a pain to set it all up!

It doesn't have to be a saved network. If it's not saved, just skip the "Delete" steps and set it up manually following the steps from step 4.

Frank has a point too, if the Windows software doesn't work, then try downloading a third party wireless internet manager,

Well actually now that mention a wireless manager HP has but I've never bothered to reinstall it since I wiped when I go it. Would it be installing and trying to connect to the network again?

Knowing that you have tried most of the basics, I still have to ask if you have talked to your schools IT admin, or anyone at your school yet? If so, please tell us what they said.

Back
Top Bottom