Windows 10

Same. I'll stand by what I said and say it's stupid of them as that's one of their largest sources of revenue but eh we'll see how it plays out.
It may prove to be a brilliant move. If you had produced a crap product (Win8) and want to make it up to the masses, this would be the only way to redeam yourself.

Besides, all we know is that it will be a free update for a short time.

Yeah. I really didn't expect Microsoft to be so nice. socking really. :)
It has nothing to do with being nice. It has to do with trying to entice Win 7 & Win 8 users to accept and embrace Win 10. If Win 10 gets as large a user base as Win 7 has, then more developers will develop apps for the platform.

The free upgrade is just within the first year so anyone upgrading after that year will need to pay. Also, any new builds or new computers will need to buy the OS.

But even that build is decent. Lets just hope that MS gives us a choice on the "Panels" being part of the start menu. I hope that they do at least.

Has anyone tried to install Win 10 on a computer that has UEFI bios? I have been struggling with a cheapo laptop that I bought from Dell. It has UEFI bios. It has Windows 8.1 + Bing installed. To reinstall a UEFI bios computer you have to download the image for that particular version of Win 8.1 from Microsoft and then you can do a clean install of Win 8.1. If you try to use a "legitimate" OEM version of Win 8.1 it says that the key does not match any of the installation keys provided and you cannot proceed any further. There is no where to insert a different key all you have is a cancel button. Now whilst downloading the various generic Win 8.1 ISOs from Microsoft does work, apparently Microsoft hasn't made a generic ISO for Windows 8.1 + Bing because apparently this a free version of Windows 8.1 that is supplied to computer manufacturers so that they can make cheapo laptops and computers. So the bottom line with this UEFI rubbish is that is a back door way to allow Microsoft to dictate which software can be installed on a computer. That makes it extremely difficult to install other OSs such as Win 10 and more importantly Linux distros. I.m also wndering what bios comes with bare bones machines because if it's UEFI then you are stymied when you come to install an OS.

trying to make sense of that win8 + bing thing you are talking about.

But yes, i have installed windows 10 in a UEFI BIOS based computer.
I had to go to the BIOS and disable UEFI boot and enable legacy support first. Then was i able to install OS'es like Ubuntu. I had Ubutnu installed before Windows 10, so i think that i would have run into problems if i haven't changed those settings in the BIOS.

@BikerEcho Well some of it is here.

http://www.askvg.com/official-tool-to-download-windows-8-1-setup-iso-and-create-installation-media/

I have downloaded the ISO for a standard Windows 8.1 installation on a UEFI machine and it does work. But if you look through the lists of what you get there is no ISO for Windows 8.1 + Bing. Everything about it is on the internet somewhere including the fact that there is no ISO for Windows 8.1 + Bing. I am starting to bog eyed now looking because I have been searching for the last 2 days LOL. As I have said it did work using a standard Win 8.1 ISO on a computer with a standard Win 8.1 install on it. but I had to set the bios to legacy boot and now the clean install wont work if I set the bios back to UEFI. It's all very strange and I am convinced its a ploy by Microsoft to push other OSs out. Am I being paranoid??? NNAA not me LOL.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with being nice. It has to do with trying to entice Win 7 & Win 8 users to accept and embrace Win 10. If Win 10 gets as large a user base as Win 7 has, then more developers will develop apps for the platform.

The free upgrade is just within the first year so anyone upgrading after that year will need to pay. Also, any new builds or new computers will need to buy the OS.

I've also red that Win 10 preview , users will be able to update to Win 10 RTM from Win 7 or 8 without making a clean install as it was previewed by Microsoft at first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom