Why is the minimum character limit there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People try to bump their post count for reasons that are far byond me. Perhaps those people think that post count is the proof that they are better than others? I really dont know.

You know, without starting a fight or making any accusations, I find the above statement very curious. Reason being, you've had several posts removed because of that very reason. You quoted something, then simply wrote "Win!" or something of the like in a thread where someone was needing help. What benefit did it provide to the conversation? None.

After all this discussion, and showing that it's easily overcome and rarely necessary, there's still a call to have it removed? Why? What possible problem does that solve? Not having to type 8 more characters when you have nothing to say? I'm sorry and not trying to be rude... but I honestly do not see the point in all of this, and even more so after this public discussion.

You quoted something, then simply wrote "Win!" or something of the like in a thread where someone was needing help. What benefit did it provide to the conversation? None

Didn't even quote anything. Just wrote "Win!" and then wrote in "10 limit..." to get around the limit. All this while trying to justify how short posts should be allowed because they can be helpful. It wasn't helpful, wasn't even relevant to what was going on in the thread so I'd point to your own posts as to why I don't want the limit removed.

You know, without starting a fight or making any accusations, I find the above statement very curious. Reason being, you've had several posts removed because of that very reason. You quoted something, then simply wrote "Win!" or something of the like in a thread where someone was needing help. What benefit did it provide to the conversation? None.
After all this discussion, and showing that it's easily overcome and rarely necessary, there's still a call to have it removed? Why? What possible problem does that solve? Not having to type 8 more characters when you have nothing to say? I'm sorry and not trying to be rude... but I honestly do not see the point in all of this, and even more so after this public discussion.
Because I was agreeing with the subject. I didnt even know that the posts where removed. This is the first I have heard of it to be honest. :confused:
But, it goes with my other post about agreeing with others. It helps to reinforce anothers point.
And you are not being rude or anything like that in my eyes. Just pointing out a fact.
Didn't even quote anything. Just wrote "Win!" and then wrote in "10 limit..." to get around the limit. All this while trying to justify how short posts should be allowed because they can be helpful. It wasn't helpful, wasn't even relevant to what was going on in the thread so I'd point to your own posts as to why I don't want the limit removed.
Where did I try to get around the limit without at least using a quote? I have never. I do not use those type of tactics, so your example is false. I only have my word to go by, but it is my word and I do stick by it.
Please do not accues me of doing things that I have not done.

Why would I be complaining about the limit if I did not care? If I truly didnt care, then I would just do that.

Last edited:
Where did I try to get around the limit without at least using a quote? I have never. I do not use those type of tactics, so your example is false. I only have my word to go by, but it is my word and I do stick by it.
Please do not accues me of doing things that I have not done.

I didn't accuse you of something you didn't do. I pointed out something you did. Any and all mods can see it as I reported the post before I deleted it. Since it was just a soft delete I was able to pull it up and take a screen shot of it (see attached). It was part of this thread here: http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/computer-repair-question-226257.html

Attachments

• Post.PNG
    Post.PNG
    47.1 KB · Views: 12
I didn't accuse you of something you didn't do. I pointed out something you did. Any and all mods can see it as I reported the post before I deleted it. Since it was just a soft delete I was able to pull it up and take a screen shot of it (see attached). It was part of this thread here: http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/computer-repair-question-226257.html
Fair enough, but I do not remember doing that.
I am so sorry that I accused you when I was wrong. :eek:
I am truly sorry...

I hope that you will forgive me on that one.
Yes, it does make your case, but at the same time, and even if this completely refutes my original statement, I hope that you see the way that this has opened up discussion between users and moderators. Soon, these discussions will take much less time, and cause less issues.

It is only my wish that everything works out for everyone.

Last edited:
My argument does not die from here. It is a problem for everyone, unless they include "Ten Character Limit" limit. Most are not voicing it, but that truly is crap. You think that it will stop spammers, but if they have nothing to contribute, then they will be reported.

Safe examples are from our current members...
(YES) for one, And (I Agree) from me. As stated before, less than 10 can cause an issue that you dont want. IE: You end up causing long time members this same issue. Have I not made the argument to change yet?

Simple no elaboration or no explanation answers serve no purpose. If you're going to bother to answer a post then take the time to elaborate on your answer. All that simple yes, yup, +1, I agree, do is give an opportunity for a post count pumping member to give dinky, no thought replies, not answers, that just jack up their post count.

To be honest I'd like to see the minimum character count go up to 20 maybe even 25. That would encourage members to give better responses.

To be honest I'd like to see the minimum character count go up to 20 maybe even 25. That would encourage members to give better responses.

I agree

Having a post with less than 10 characters can't possibly answer any question... unless someone posted a math problem, then it might be useful. Other than that, I'm not sure I've run into a PC problem that was solved by anything that could be explained with less than 10 letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom