Why is the minimum character limit there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why is the minium charector limit even there?

Let me weigh in here.
When I was modding and David still owned the forum, The LOL and things like it was a real pain in the ass as far as that goes. Google picks up on the posts made and presents them to the public in their search engine.
Having said that, Here's my take on it.

When people come by and scope us out for answers do you want them to see LOLOLOLOLOLOL as a post in a thread where some one is looking for an answer to a problem? That sort of stuff is facebook fodder and should be left there. Next thing is going to be leet speak.
Do you want to present this face to the public? I for one don't. It's childish and makes us look bad. We always should be striving to put our best face forward. A little fun is not bad but this is a computer forum and we should conduct ourselves like we know what we're doing.

And you know damned good and well that some WILL abuse it to bump up post counts. There are those that want high post counts and some that judge whom to speak with based on post count.

Quality over quantity any time.

When people come by and scope us out for answers do you want them to see LOLOLOLOLOLOL as a post in a thread where some one is looking for an answer to a problem?

Aaaha, that's 13 characters!

:angel: But seriously, nothing wrong with the character limit, there's no point posting if it's not constructive! The only thing I wish is that there was a filter that would pick up useless posts and scrap them :D (damn, that's this post scrapped :hide:)

Again, that is more than understandable.
I was a moderator for the Knight47 forum, and we got a lot of that. There is no easy solution, but is there ever? You can ban across IP's, but the final solution is to keep up. I love and understand the work that you do. There is a "But" here at that. Did you not join because of the love for the forum?

And I would never insult anyone with a question like that, but I do believe you should think of everyone, as that is what is required (in my mind) to keep a forum running.

Before I make a compete a** out of myself, I will say that I respect you guys more than you know. Again, I have been a mod, and had to decide the worst, much less this, so I am with you guys on whatever decision that you make.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

LOLOL - best example, ever :lol:

Interesting topic. And as noted we don't all agree about the need for the restriction. But this was one of the same reason we initially built the thanks tool - to avoid threads full of +1 type comments.

I am no longer sitting on the floor around here. I heard the carpet was gross. :whistling:

Let me weigh in here.
When I was modding and David still owned the forum, The LOL and things like it was a real pain in the ass as far as that goes. Google picks up on the posts made and presents them to the public in their search engine.
Having said that, Here's my take on it.

When people come by and scope us out for answers do you want them to see LOLOLOLOLOLOL as a post in a thread where some one is looking for an answer to a problem? That sort of stuff is facebook fodder and should be left there. Next thing is going to be leet speak.
Do you want to present this face to the public? I for one don't. It's childish and makes us look bad. We always should be striving to put our best face forward. A little fun is not bad but this is a computer forum and we should conduct ourselves like we know what we're doing.

And you know damned good and well that some WILL abuse it to bump up post counts. There are those that want high post counts and some that judge whom to speak with based on post count.

Quality over quantity any time.
Of course, and those users should be moderated.
Quality does not always mean the same though. Users have the right to post, and others have the right to decide if that plus their other posts are useful.

The issue with IP bans though is eventually that IP address will get assigned to some other person in the world. Could take months or a year but someone will get it and they would be blocked because of someone else.

You raise an interesting point. Do users really have the right to post? This is a privately owned forum not a public one so my rights as a non-owner are very, very limited (IMO). And how does quality not always mean the same? I'd imagine unless we're in the jokes thread a post of just "lol" would never be quality.

That actually was my point a few posts ago.
And I was not recommending an IP ban, because that hardly ever works. I was mentioning it in passing as somthing that we tried.

I think this can go both ways, and I respect the thoughts on both sides of the coin. As for me this ten character rule doesn't both me. I understand that when this rule was implimented it was basically for spammers and people who just want to bump up their post count.

I think it should be left inact...just (MHO) :)

I think this can go both ways, and I respect the thoughts on both sides of the coin. As for me this ten character rule doesn't both me. I understand that when this rule was implimented it was basically for spammers and people who just want to bump up their post count.

I think it should be left inact...just (MHO) :)

+1

ten characters

This has opened some wonderful discussion points, but they all lead back to the same conclusion. People try to bump their post count for reasons that are far byond me. Perhaps those people think that post count is the proof that they are better than others? I really dont know.

But I still stand by my main statement. Even if this is needed, it should not be. You weed out people that are trying to "bump" by not having the restriction in place.

The mods are all saying the same basic thing. That it makes their lives more simple. Remember why you became a mod. You didnt do it for status, at least I hope not. You did it for the love of the community. That means work. When I was a mod on the K47 forum, that is why I did it. I cared about the people posting regularly, and was happy to deal with those who did not. Its not like we didnt get trash on an almost daily basis because we did. That is my main input on the discussion. Between mods, and users things around here should not turn as they did before. Nobody has freedom of speech on someone elses site. Its that simple.

But, to backtrack, the limit does get in the way of those of us who actually want to post a basic responce over trying to figure a way around the limit.

Before anyone decides anything, please read through the entire thread. That is my final request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom