Why is the minimum character limit there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draygoes

Fully Optimized
Not to complain too much or anything, but that limit really does get old. Sometimes a smiley or lol to show your appreciation for a funny joke or to serve many other reasons. Sure, it can cause useless posts, but if used correctly, it conveys information much faster, and in a more clear way then having to think up a 10+ charector reply that equals LOL.

Is there a way that we can get that limit removed? I cannot be the only person who gets a bit annoyed about it.

Its not like I am going to be answering with short responses very often, but it would be nice to be able to do so. A simple "Thanks" has to be lengthened and I really dont see why. Even "Thank you" doesnt work, so the best way around it that I have found so far is to put a smiley after it.
I am about ready to start responding with "---LOL----" just to bypass that little annoyance.

If TL;DR then,
The minimum charector limit is annoying as short responses are in rare cases useful. And I doubt that I am the only person who feels that way. Can we get that changed please?

To anyone reading this, thank you very much for your time, even if the decision is to leave things the way that they are. :flowers:

Re: Why is the minium charector limit even there?

We will discuss it in the mod lounge.
Thanks. Would you please keep us updated? :thumb:

No you wont...................
I was joking about that. Sorry if it didnt come through that way. I kindof figured you guys would know that I am not nearly that daft. ;)
To be fair, I have my pain meds to thank for my sense of humor being a bit wonky. I wont be on them for much longer though, just taking them while waiting for the antibiotics to kick in.

Last edited:

I'd agree that it's annoying, but it prevents a lot more garbage than legitimate responses. Anytime I want to post a simple LOL, I just carriage return a few lines and type "tencharacters" so everyone knows that was simply to satisfy the requirement.

While it is annoying... it serves a bigger purpose than to have another rule about posting.

As T-MAN said, we will discuss it, but I wouldn't bet on it being completely removed. Maybe shortened, but not removed.

Thanks for the feedback, and keep postin!

Not a problem. Thank you guys for being willing to discuss it.
Please keep us updated as to your decision.

I'm for sure with Draygoes on this one. Not only is it actually decently annoying when trying to make post. It also just doesn't serve much purpose as a method to block spam - due to mods having to allow someone to post to begin with. If someone is attempting to spam, just don't let them post the message. :whistling:

My point exactly. If someone wants to spam the forum to increase the post count with useless posts, ban there butt, or at least warn them. This is the first forum (though I have only been a major player in 3) that used this.

If someone wants to spam the forum to increase the post count with useless posts, ban there butt

Any idea how many people could be banned if we were to implement a rule like that?

Personally I hate digging through posts that are nothing but "lol" or "agreed" as they don't contribute to anything, ever. Sure sometimes it's a pain when a legit answer is less than 10 characters but that's pretty rare for me.

Its as rare for me as it is you, but it does happen.
The way that you would moderate such a thing would be to remove or warn anyone who refuses to stop posting "LOL" or the like on every thread that they see just to improve the post count. Sure that would create more work for you guys, but we as users also have a responsibility to report activity that equals to that. If I check someones recent posts after suspecting them of bumping their post count, and see that it is nothing but short and useless responses, then I will report them.
In my opinion, there is no reason to spam to increase your post count, but others have seen it differently. There is no way that such activitys will go unnoticed here.

It also just doesn't serve much purpose as a method to block spam - due to mods having to allow someone to post to begin with.

We don't have to approve all posts. Only posts by new members (< 25 posts) that contain links. Other than that, it's free game.

If someone wants to spam the forum to increase the post count with useless posts, ban there butt, or at least warn them.

That is certainly an option, but there are no current rules that allow this kind of action. While we do our best to manage a good community, we also try our best to live by our own rules.

Any idea how many people could be banned if we were to implement a rule like that?

Which is why there is none. That's a subjective measurement. You may think it adds value whereas memberB does not. ModA believes it does, ModB doesn't and bans someone. Not much room for error in interpretation there. The post character limit makes it an objective measurement.

Its as rare for me as it is you, but it does happen.
The way that you would moderate such a thing would be to remove or warn anyone who refuses to stop posting "LOL" or the like on every thread that they see just to improve the post count. Sure that would create more work for you guys, but we as users also have a responsibility to report activity that equals to that. If I check someones recent posts after suspecting them of bumping their post count, and see that it is nothing but short and useless responses, then I will report them.
In my opinion, there is no reason to spam to increase your post count, but others have seen it differently. There is no way that such activitys will go unnoticed here.

Let's slow down here.

What you're advocating is a witch hunt. Again, UserA posts "LOL +1!!!!!!!!!," UserB comes along and reports it. ModA looks and warns UserA.

Imagine the potential time it would take us to go through every single report of post count bumping? Imagine the issues that would result from that, that really shouldn't be issues in the first place.

Nobody is naive to the fact that users exist who's sole purpose in life is to have a bigger number. We know they exist and usually spot them fairly quickly. Managing on a case by case basis is probably the better approach vs. pitting members against each other.

Now, that's not to say that we're opposed to changing this (char min) as it is still being discussed, but that alternative will most assuredly not be taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom