Is sending pictures to your email a good way to preserve them forever?

Just keep them backed up on the current technology. Or you know, print them and save them like they did in the old days. I don't understand the need to save 1000's of digital photos that no one ever looks at. I don't even understand the need to save paper photos. I guess I'm just not that sentimental of a guy to go back and look at photos from 10-15 years ago. I mean, it's cool and all to see an old pic of yourself or a family member, but it's just not something I'm going to specifically do.

Just keep them backed up on the current technology. Or you know, print them and save them like they did in the old days. I don't understand the need to save 1000's of digital photos that no one ever looks at. I don't even understand the need to save paper photos. I guess I'm just not that sentimental of a guy to go back and look at photos from 10-15 years ago. I mean, it's cool and all to see an old pic of yourself or a family member, but it's just not something I'm going to specifically do.
Heh, try that with code. :D

Follow up question.
(OK I Saved my pictures to my desktop,and sent them to myself/my email via attachment. like Draygoes said.)
Now if I delete the pictures from this computer will they vanish from my emails? Or are they saved to my emails forever even if I delete them from this computer or the computer breaks?

I'm doing this all on someone else's computer.That's why I want to save my pictures to my emails.
I want to delete them off this computer so random people can't look at my pictures and I want the pictures to be on my emails so I can look at them anywhere, like for example a library or friends house by accessing my emails.

No. Everytime you save/send a picture, it is a copy. Anyone who has saved the picture including you will have it even if it was deleted from your email.
If you wish for others to see your pics, then I recommend things like Google Drive, or other ways to share. You may want to look up image hosts, and free online storage. Both will help.

Everytime a file is transferred, a copy is made of it. The files do not work like mail. Do you remember when you emailed the picture to yourself or others? If you do, you will remember that you had a copy on your computer, as well as the file that you sent. The uploading dialog might as well say copying, as that is what it is doing.

I hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
I mean if I delete the pictures from this computer will they vanish from my emails?

The thing is I dont want strangers to see them,thats why i want to save them to emails as I have no computer of my own to save them on.

The most important thing is I want them preserved in my email to hold me over until I get a flash drive or copy to them cd/dvd or something.

(p.s.
thanks for your help I don't know much about computers. lol )

Last edited:
Not a problem. :)
The answer to your question is no. If you delete the pictures from the computer that you have them stored on, and you have emailed them to yourself or someone else, then they will only be deleted from that computer, not from the email. Same goes for the reverse.

By the way... You dont happen to be a CastleVania fan do you? (I am asking because of your username.)

Last edited:
You should still give an online storage service a try. Like google Drive.
That Email stuff you are doing is not the proper way to backup anything.

You should still give an online storage service a try. Like google Drive.
That Email stuff you are doing is not the proper way to backup anything.
Not long term. And the question being asked was simple enough. I gave the answer as easy as I could. I am pretty sure we all did.

Back
Top Bottom