Internet in rural area's

mick56

Baseband Member
Hello, i am planning on taking my laptop camping and want to know a cheap/free way of getting online,also i have a music library through Deezer that i play at home, will i need to be connected to play that or will it work without. Any help i can get would be appreciated, thank's. Mick.

We don't have Deezer here in the US so I can't answer your question. I don't know of a cheap/free way of getting on-line but I use my cell phone to create a wifi hotspot when I go camping (as long as I have a cellular signal) that let's me get on-line. I am fortunate to have an unlimited data connection so I can go on-line for no additional cost.

No connection = No Internet.
There are quite a few services that you can sign up for to get internet to your laptop without requiring a network, but those require a contract. Probably not a good idea for what you are requesting.

3g tethering is pretty much your only choice.

it's very unusual to find an unlimited one. honestly I'd just take CDs or music on the laptop using MP3s

3g tethering is pretty much your only choice.

it's very unusual to find an unlimited one. honestly I'd just take CDs or music on the laptop using MP3s

Thank's for the reply mate, i've sussed out that i can get my music on Deezer wherever i am for £10 a month without a network hook up, but i still want to use the laptop as i listen to music. I heard about using a mobile phone as a wi-fi hotspot,that sound's interesting,and free,but i am so backward with techno, and so is my phone, ( i only just discovered that it take's picture's :D ) that i dont even know how to use it for email's. Cheer's.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

We don't have Deezer here in the US so I can't answer your question. I don't know of a cheap/free way of getting on-line but I use my cell phone to create a wifi hotspot when I go camping (as long as I have a cellular signal) that let's me get on-line. I am fortunate to have an unlimited data connection so I can go on-line for no additional cost.

Hello mate,that wi-fi hotspot thing will it work on any phone, ive got a really cheap one but i see it has internet capability, i think :confused:

It depends on your phone and your cell carrier as to whether it will work on your phone or not. Some phones don't support creating a hotspot but may still be able to be tethered via a USB cable in order to provide internet for your laptop.

Most smartphones these days will support the WiFi hotpsot feature, Just Google you model of phone and look on the manufacturers website and that should tell you..

I have an LG G2 phone on the Verizon network. Since I have an unlimited data plan, Verizon does not let me enable the wifi hotspot on my phone. I use a little utility app called PDANet on my phone that lets me enable the wifi hotspot. Works great.

PDANet also helps with tethering via USB or Bluetooth if the hotspot is not an option on your phone.

PDANet costs $7.95 to buy. There is a free version but it will periodically disconnect you. Their website: http://junefabrics.com/

Last edited:
I have to buy an Iphone and subsrcibe to Itunes, then download pdanet from what i can see.I cant figure out if i can use all that in England or how much it's all going to cost to buy and run, then i have pay Deezer for roaming music as well, i can feel a headache coming on.:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom