Win7 OS installation never gets past loading

Gmork1

Solid State Member
So, I have a laptop that hangs when I try to install Windows 7. BIOS will boot from the disk and you will see the Win7 loading screen but it never gets past the initial load, meaning it doesn't even load the interface to begin the installation. It's not completely frozen as it displays the loading animation. I have tried formatting the hard drive (using another computer), burning a new installation disk, using USB to install, removing all but 1 RAM stick cycling through all of them, and I am out of ideas. Does anybody know what is causing this and how to fix? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
1. Check the BIOS to see if the floppy drive is enabled. If it is, disable it. Retry the installation.
2. If the above doesn't work (or the setting doesn't exist) try going into the bios and setting the Harddrive to IDE mode (not AHCI), or if it's already set to IDE, try setting it to AHCI.

Is it a new laptop? Tried another hard drive?

1. Check the BIOS to see if the floppy drive is enabled. If it is, disable it. Retry the installation.
2. If the above doesn't work (or the setting doesn't exist) try going into the bios and setting the Harddrive to IDE mode (not AHCI), or if it's already set to IDE, try setting it to AHCI.

Is it a new laptop? Tried another hard drive?

Floppy drive is not enabled. The hard drive is SATA and is set properly in BIOS. I don't have another hard drive to try in the laptop. The hard drive can be detected by my desktop (partitioned it). BIOS (laptop) can detect my hard drive, so I don't think it's a connection issue. The laptop is not new.

The original issue that made me reinstall windows is that when booting up it would take about 10 minutes to fully start. Minor tasks such as right clicking the desktop and pulling up the start menu would take minutes to accomplish, and opening programs about 5 to 10 minutes. I said screw it and just decided to reformat and reinstall windows, but the windows installation seems to have the same issue.

I'm going to see if I can get windows installed on the hard drive by using my desktop. This should determine whether it's a hard drive problem or not. Although, I've never heard of a hard drive failing and causing a bottle-neck like this so it would be interesting.

It seems to me like a hardware failure.

Last edited:
CHANGE THE BIOS SETTING TO DEFAULT then TRY AGAIN.
If still not installing
Remove the HD from PC then try installing again, if it skips to next screen of installation menu then there's problem with HD.
Perform DEFAULT FORMAT to HD

Lhakpa's iPhone

Certainly sounds like a hard drive problem to me!

CHANGE THE BIOS SETTING TO DEFAULT then TRY AGAIN.
If still not installing
Remove the HD from PC then try installing again, if it skips to next screen of installation menu then there's problem with HD.
Perform DEFAULT FORMAT to HD

Lhakpa's iPhone

Thank you! Removing the hard drive fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom