Gaming Rig Upgrade

Ok. If you still have trouble deciding, think about this one for a sec.
If you buy the I5 and regret not buying the I7, that would suck
If you buy the I7 and regret spending that extra cash, that would also suck. But you can always say "well... sure it have cost more than i would have liked, but atleast i have the best of the best for the 1150 platform"

Touche! I mean, before long I am getting an awesome job at a company as a Mechanical Engineer because I'm going to be doing an apprenticeship through them. So, living alone, and coming home with a health paycheck, I'll be building a badass rig once I get enough money to do it again.

I am definitely learning something. :)

I have fired a gun before... but nothing special. I have only fired a few different guns using the .22 cal. So only beginner weapons. Other than that i own a high powered air rifle. It can kill a man.

I am actually more interested in bows and swords to be honest. I have 2 Katana swords, A kukri and some knifes (one of them is one of the most banned knifes world wide. The balisong. "ohh watch out.. in can open in different acrobatic ways, so it most be more deadly, we better ban it" :facepalm: ) So yeah, not the biggest collection so far, but i am getting there

In case you were wondering, this is a balisong (one of the more pretty once):
BM51121.jpg
I have never known that knife by that name. But yeah, illegal here too. I think that it has somthing due to blade length, but I could be wrong...

Final choice: i5 4690K. It will be ordered after next Friday, hopefully. Then the graphics card will probably be ordered within the next couple months. I'm going with the GTX 970, regardless of brand, but I like the MSI.

I'm starting to change my mind again. Now I'm thinking about the i7 4790 (non K). I have the money now, so it's decision time.

I have never known that knife by that name. But yeah, illegal here too. I think that it has somthing due to blade length, but I could be wrong...

They are also called butterfly knifes and fan knifes. But the original name is balisong.
Not sure it's the length. Because you can also get them in short versions.
I think it's the way it opens. Are switchblades legal in the US?
If they are, then the law yet again doesn't make sense.

I'm starting to change my mind again. Now I'm thinking about the i7 4790 (non K). I have the money now, so it's decision time.

Do it, Do it. You know want it.

Lets-do-demotivational-meme1.jpg

Last edited:
They are also called butterfly knifes and fan knifes. But the original name is balisong.
Not sure it's the length. Because you can also get them in short versions.
I think it's the way it opens. Are switchblades legal in the US?
If they are, then the law yet again doesn't make sense.

Do it, Do it. You know want it.

Lets-do-demotivational-meme1.jpg

I looked at the difference between the 4690K and 4790, and there really isn't enough of a performance difference to justify the extra money. I will post the rig running and some benchmarks once I get it up. I still need to get the GTX 970, other wise my GPU will be the GTX 560 Ti, which is not exactly on the same level as the 4690K.... :lol:

Okay, so I went to pull up the CPU socket guard, and I bent a few pins :/. Tried bending them back but couldn't, so I inserted the CPU and tried booting..... Nothing. Fans run, power is getting to all the components, even my boot flashdrive, but I just get a blank screen. Even tried taking out the graphics card and running on integrated. Still nothing. Can I realign the pins?

Yes, you can realign pins.
Be careful though. You don't want them to break. use a small non magnetic flat head screwdriver or tweezers.

Last edited:
Yes, you can realign pins.
Be careful though. You don't want them to break. use a small non magnetic flat head screwdriver or tweezers.

Yeah I couldn't realign the pins, so I just bought the ASRock H97 Anniversary Motherboard for $72.99 USD via Newegg.com. Will update when and if I get the PC running now.... Anyone know anything about cord management?

Yes. That it's important to spend some time on and it's all different from case to case.
YOu can find some tips and tricks on YouTube. This kind of stuff is better to visually see than to read about.

Back
Top Bottom