Is there any free anti virus programs out there that is legit?

TonyWBrwn

Solid State Member
Simply looking for free spyware and antivirus. Also is there a free windows 7 downloads?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

There are dozens of free antivirus and antimalware programs out there. Avast as Biker has mentioned but also AVG, Panda, Bullguard etc. For Malware you have Spybot, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and more. Don't forget that Microsoft do a freebie as well called Microsoft Security Essentials (AV) and Windows Defender. I only use the Microsoft ones and I haven't had any problems so far. People will tell you that the Microsoft ones are rubbish though but I haven't found that personally. Just remember that no anti-virus or anti-malware will be 100% effective. Sooner or later the chances are that you will get some malware or a virus or both. Free anti-virus programs generally work all by themselves but free anti-malware programs tend to have to be run manually.

As for Free Windows 7 programs. yes they are there but the ones that are there are pirates and therefore illegal to download and use.

I think Avast and Avg are the two great antivirus that's free (imho).

Of coarse everyone has their own opinions but their are some good free ones out there. The free ones do a fairly good job. I think I only paid for a subscrition 1 time, and the rest of the time I owned computers I just went with free ones.

They are all as good as each other or as bad. Ultimately your computer security is down to you. Make sure your personal files are backed up and not backed up on your main computer. Only personal files are of any importance. programs can be reinstalled, hard drives can be replaced as can computers. make sure that you realise that no matter how good your chosen anti virus is it is total crap compared to the virus/malware writers or anyone that REALLY REALLY wants to hack your computer. Sooner or later they will get in.

Inbuilt Microsoft Security Essentials (AV) and Windows Defender.

Lhakpa's iPhone

Last edited:
I think it should also be clarified that many standard antivirus programs generally wont provide any firewall, incoming or outgoing. They usually sell as “Internet Security” software where they will include antivirus, firewall, and a bunch of other AVG is ok for FREE software. I am indifferent to antivirus, As far as, I know Kaspersky or Norton is the way to go if you want to pay. I had AVG free about three years ago, used it for awhile, uninstalled it, installed Microsoft Security Essentials and MSE found so much crap under the radar AVG never caught. Everyone's got an opinion, but I am personally not too thrilled with AVG. yeah, windows defender or MSE is good enough to protect our PC from virus.

Lhakpa's iPhone

Back
Top Bottom