laptop upgrade now shuts down

capecodbob

Solid State Member
HP Pavillion dv6000 series
Wife laptop was sitting around with problems and we decided to fix it.
Hard drive was broke and I put in a new blank one , bigger and faster and went with 2 new RAM sticks to 4gb's.
Had Vista home premie which she wanted to keep, and I got an OS disk off e-bay and a drivers disk also.
Everything installed and all is working great.
I also got a fat battery and had a newer ac charger for it.

It shuts down just after starting when on fully charged battery. If I start it with the charger in it stays on and if I unplug the charger it will stay on a long time but eventually shuts down.

I have set the battery settings to NEVER shut down.

I am wondering if there is an problem with the recepticle for the charger on the laptop because sometimes it is not charging the bat when it is not fully charged. I am not sure when it is supposed to charge.
Not to savy about this. Any ideas appreciated, Thanks, Bob.

When you say shutdown, do you mean like the proper way or does it just stop. Stop in the same way if you hold down the power button?
If it simply stops that could be because of the charger. You sure that the charger is right for the laptop? If it delivers too much power it can damage the computer. You need to look at both the amp and voltage the laptop needs.

why... ohh why, did you get vista. Windows 7 is very much like vista, but faster and way better optimized.
Not to mention more secure.

Sound like the battery is bad. You can run on the charger but you need the battery for the amp/buffer.

Similar problem here, though I think that I know what caused it now. Cynthia had dropped our lappy several times, and I see exposed edges. I am pretty sure that is why our battery doesnt work.

Advice... Can you check to make sure that your problem is not that battery? We just nudge our battery, and the laptop instantly powers off.

(Now to make you guys laugh using irony. Cynthia did not like me carrying the laptop with one hand, and she fought me over and over about that, because she was afraid I would drop it. I never dropped it once. XD )

When you say shutdown, do you mean like the proper way or does it just stop. Stop in the same way if you hold down the power button?
If it simply stops that could be because of the charger. You sure that the charger is right for the laptop? If it delivers too much power it can damage the computer. You need to look at both the amp and voltage the laptop needs.

why... ohh why, did you get vista. Windows 7 is very much like vista, but faster and way better optimized.
Not to mention more secure.

It shuts down improperly. As if I unplugged it with no battery in it. I may fiddle with it today and try to determine under nwhat condituions it shuts down. A break is needed as I have spent hours getting it up and running.

Why Vista? I should have visited here first.
Thanks for the help, Bob.

Sounds like a problem with the battery!

Vista is generally considered the most cumbersome of the relatively modern Microsoft Operating Systems. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been! (good lol)

Yeah it could be the battery as well.
try (while having the charger plugged in) start the computer without the battery and see what happens. but before you do that, check if the chargers specs match the requirements for the laptop. I think a bad charger can damage the battery as well. Not just the computer it self.

You could also try installing the old RAM again. If the problem stops, we have found the problem.

Yeah it could be the battery as well.
try (while having the charger plugged in) start the computer without the battery and see what happens. but before you do that, check if the chargers specs match the requirements for the laptop. I think a bad charger can damage the battery as well. Not just the computer it self.

You could also try installing the old RAM again. If the problem stops, we have found the problem.

Will try that. I have ordered a NEW windows 7 home prem from newegg. Decided to invest mmore into the laptop and will have a legal product key.
Thanks for the help, Bob.

Back
Top Bottom