Setting up a home network

TonyWBrwn

Solid State Member
I am a novice at this. After much jargon from the net and help in windows I still can't figure out how to set up a home network. I typed in my routers address and I can't change password or anything. I am running Vista and would like to hook up my wireless printer on a home neteork.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Computer Forums mobile app

How many computers? What OSes are they running? What router do you have? Will the computers connect via wire (ethernet) or via wifi to the router?

3 computers, one windows vista and two Windows 8.1, I have a D-link router all on wifi except the windows vista which is a desk top

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Computer Forums mobile app

Here's a YouTube video on how to login to your router. It assumes you (or someone else) hasn't changed the defaults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZM0W818xTg

Are you able to get logged in by following this video? If not, what happens when you try?

Since you have a Vista computer in your network, you cannot use a Homegroup (only Win 7 & Win 8 computers can join a Homegroup). You will need to setup a Workgroup.

For your Win 8.1 computers, this is how to setup a Workgroup:

Join or create a workgroup

When you set up a network, Windows automatically creates a workgroup and gives it the name WORKGROUP. You can join an existing workgroup on a network or create a new one. Workgroups provide a basis for file and printer sharing, but they don't actually set up sharing for you.

1. Open System by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering System in the search box, and tapping or clicking System.
  2. Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, tap or click Change settings.
    1f9463c2-c968-47bf-9b4d-939c5d1af477_70.jpg
    You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
  3. In the System Properties dialog box, tap or click the Computer Name tab, and then tap or click Change.
  4. In the Computer Name/Domain Changes dialog box, under Member of, tap or click Workgroup, and then do one of the following:
    • To join an existing workgroup, enter the name of the workgroup that you want to join, and then tap or click OK.
    • To create a new workgroup, enter the name of the workgroup that you want to create, and then tap or click OK.
    If your PC was a member of a domain before you joined the workgroup, it will be removed from the domain and your computer account on that domain will be disabled.
Here are instruction for your Vista computer:

When you set up a network, Windows automatically creates a workgroup and gives it a name. You can join an existing workgroup on a network or create a new one.

1. Open System by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47.png
    , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.
  2. Under Computer Name, Domain, and Workgroup Settings, click Change settings.
    18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41.png
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Click the Computer Name tab, and then click Change.
  4. Under Member of, click Workgroup, and then do one of the following:
    • To join an existing workgroup, type the name of the workgroup that you want to join, and then click OK.
    • To create a new workgroup, type the name of the workgroup that you want to create, and then click OK.
      If you change the name of an existing workgroup, a new workgroup will be created with that name.
    492089e4-258d-4674-b3b4-5c0d0c471ba4_15.png
    The Computer Name/Domain Changes dialog box

If your computer was a member of a domain before you joined the workgroup, it will be removed from the domain and your computer account on that domain will be disabled.
The main thing you need to make sure of is that all computers must use the exact same name for the Workgroup. It doesn't need to be named Workgroup but all the computers on the network must use the same Workgroup name or they won't be able to see each other.

Last edited:
Is all you're trying to do is connect to a wireless printer? If so, a lot of this might be over-kill. So long as they're all connected in some way to the same router the grunt of the work is done.

Every network-compatible printer I've dealt with has had an installer/install option for initial printer setup where you first plug it into your computer via USB then it configures the printer to connect to your wireless. Then when that's all done, you run the installer again on all the other computers and it makes the connection for you. You don't need to worry about workgroups or anything else like that.

The only thing you would need to know is the password to connect to your wireless.

Back
Top Bottom