Samsung Monitor issue!

Calman

Solid State Member
Hi folks!!

Glad I found this forum and hope I am posting in the relevant section? I'm sorry to be asking a technical issue question straight away, but this is driving me nuts now!!!

Basically, I have a Samsung S23A350B Monitor, which out of the blue the other day, would not come out of sleep/standby mode!!!

I'm running through it's analog connection and after checking many things (including latest firmware, MANY YouTube videos) ... I am at a loss of what the exact issue is.

Apparently, I am running the latest firmware .. but not sure if it could be damaged? ... would the installer recognise it, if this was the case?? ... of course, Samsung's website states that if you see the "check signal" OSD, then the monitor is working properly - well, that's as much help as a chocolate teapot.

Now, my wife has the exact same monitor, so swapping them out (leaving my VGA Cable and running from my CPU) all works well ... so this would tell me that the problem is purely with the monitor, whether firmware related or some other kind of fault??

So ... before I run out and buy a new monitor, I live in hope that someone out there has encountered a similar problem and can share their experiences (good or bad).

I am even toying with purchasing a DVI/HDMI cable to eliminate the fact, that it may just be a fault on the Analog side of things - if that is at all possible).

All the best for now,
Cal
smile.gif

Welcome aboard Calman. :)

It seems to me that the monitor are not receiving a signal from your video card so do you have your monitor set to receive analog? Check your menu.

Do try a HDMI or DVI cable.
You should avoid using VGA if you can anyway.
Why?
Here is a copy and paste section form doityourself.com
  • Converting a digital signal to analog can result in the loss of data, leading to a poorer quality image. In the case of LCD monitors, the resulting re-conversion of signal from analog to digital can cause even more degradation of data.
  • Analog signals are susceptible to outside interference unless your VGA cables are properly shielded. This means that higher quality cables may be necessary if your signal is not coming out right. This leads to an increase in the price of VGA cables.

Besides that they are behind in features. Like some settings in Nvidia control panel and AMD catalyst control panel don't show.
Also if you want to run HD at 120hz, VGA is not gonna do anything for ya. Blueray movies from a blueray drive won't work ether among other things.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies above folks!!!

Yes indeed, I feel now, after extensive reading around the web in the past few days - that I have nothing to lose by purchasing a DVI/HMDI cable and hoping that it can provide some sign of life!!

I found a link late last night, which suggested in some cases, the HDMI connection can even positively affect firmware installs and that the "Check Signal Input" can lock onto looking for a digital source (after the initial monitor 'boot up' where it carries out it's Analog/Digital check in the upper left hand corner.

It seems that there are dozens of reasons why Samsung monitors walk towards their "black screen" problems - I just pray that my issue is "fixable" .. and not a terminal problem inside the back on that monitor.

All the best,
Cal :)

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Welcome aboard Calman. :)

It seems to me that the monitor are not receiving a signal from your video card so do you have your monitor set to receive analog? Check your menu.

.. also meant to say - I can't get any feedback from any of the front panel buttons, except of course, the power button. It appears that the "source" button interrupts the boot up OSD, but no feedback whatsoever, whether I am on analog or digital source.

The question I ask myself, currently the "Check Input Signal" ... shows "Digital" below (without the VGA cable attached to the CPU) ... so I am now also wondering, if that cable was unplugged from the CPU in it's working state, whether that "Check Input Signal" showed "Analog" in that box??

All the best,

Your monitor is pretty much plug n play so it should detect what cable you're on. Seems like it didn't so maybe it'll work with the digital cable hopefully.

Last edited:
In an ideal world, I totally agree.

My main query, which Samsung Live Support couldn't directly answer - are analog and digital inputs controlled separately in any shape or form and could my monitor be trapped in "digital" mode all of a sudden, where I only have analog/VGA hookup at present??

Also, as I am seeing "Check Input Signal" with "DIGITAL" underneath it, would that also suggest that it's locked onto a digital source (where I can't get any response/screen feedback from the "source" button).

Questions, questions eh? lol

All the best,

Back
Top Bottom