Its time to start learning hardware...

I'd agree with the others really.
Personally I'd do this:

1. (Get an anti-static wristband, so you can be grounded while holding sensitive components) Build your own PC, or get an old cheap (working) machine, strip it down, and put it back together. When you're reasonable competent, build one for a friend too, the more practice the better.
2. Get a hold of another PC and a network switch. Have a play with those and network them together etc.
3. Study the CompTIA A+ material, or at least do practical stuff based around it.
4. Ask if you can volunteer at a local computer shop! That's what I did and the lessons were very valuable.
5. Reinstall the OS a couple of times.
6. Get some disk cloning software and have a go at cloning one hard drive to another.
7. If you know someone throwing out a PC because it's not working, take it home and see if you can work out the problem, if you have any questions feel free to post them on the forum so we can help you help yourself!
8. Look up and learn how to host a website, put it into practice!

There are loads more, and this is by no means a comprehensive list, but day to day computer issues such as the occasionally blue screen of death, reboot loops etc can be easily solved when you know how!

Yes, because googling "computer hardware" doesn't give you a million links to random stuff that likely isn't going to help him.

Anyways, What exactly is it about hardware that you want to know? there's a lot that can fit into the category of "computer hardware" from how it all fits together to how it works.
See thats thing, I am not sure how to answer that question. My hungry mind says "All the hardwarez!" but I know that there is no way that it going to happen. So at this point, it is enough to be able to build my own computer, and troubleshoot for serious problems. Still to general, but its the best answer that I can give.

Well in that case I'd have to agree with a lot of what's said with the A+ being a good start. The downside to those books & sites is they can get a little dry in my opinion (I am A+ certified too).

Something to consider is the "For dummies" book on building a PC. Build Your Own PC Do-It-Yourself For Dummies:Book Information - For Dummies It's a little out of date but the concepts & practices are still true and they are usually fun reads.

Read the book Upgrading and Repairing PC's by Scott Mueller. I've read it through once, and it has literally opened up my knowledge with computer hardware.

This^^^^^^
One of the best authors around teaching all about hardware, cant go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom