Which Power supply should I use?

Setishock:
I have had a dell PSU do the same thing. Our previous server at work (which really was an older workstation that they put windows server 2003 on)
I don't find it so special that a computer can run for a year without a restart. Not hardware wise that is. ofcause it can be a game changer if you are using low quality parts. But it doesn't have to be some high end specially designed hardware to accomplish that. (though ECC hardware is definitely helping, but not required and we are talking about PSU's now) Stable software are more important if avoiding restarting is so important.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of the 80+ rating. To me that's what is the most important other than a respect brand and the right among of Watt.
Before buying I check some review sites for the score, pros and cons.

I have actually never heard of the tier rating on PSU's. Reviews don't included them often, do they?
Maybe i have to start including that into my consideration when buying PSU's.
I have some reading to do it seams. :)

The tire thing is most probably something used within the comunity, I've yet to hear about this myself, but I am aware of the pitfalls of having a bad PSU.

However, when you state "To me that's what is the most important other than a respect brand and the right among of Watt.", you may think this in the most important thing to you, but trust me, it's no good having nice all singing all dancing hardware for the PSU to blow it to pieces on the slightest issue with the line voltage, and if you have issues, or the PSU starts whining under load, the quality of the PSU will most certainly be high on your importance list.

With PSU's you should always go with quality first. There are a lot of bad PSU's out there, even ones with brand names attached (For example, some Corsair ones). Seasonic is a very good, reliable, brand - and one you can trust.

If you can't afford a Seasonic 80+ rating PSU, then drop the requirement for the 80+ rating before you drop the quality of the PSU. As it has already been said, the PSU is most often the most overlooked piece of hardware - yet it has the most strenuous job, that when it goes wrong, has the most destructive consequencies.

I can't believe that for the other hardware you are willing to buy and spend money on, you won't go the extra £20 for the superior PSU - in my books that's nuts.

Setishock:
I have had a dell PSU do the same thing. Our previous server at work (which really was an older workstation that they put windows server 2003 on)
I don't find it so special that a computer can run for a year without a restart. Not hardware wise that is. ofcause it can be a game changer if you are using low quality parts. But it doesn't have to be some high end specially designed hardware to accomplish that. (though ECC hardware is definitely helping, but not required and we are talking about PSU's now) Stable software are more important if avoiding restarting is so important.

I completely disagree, they are both (hardware and software) just as important as each other - software is most definately not more important. I've had more issues with hardware than I've ever had with software - and it's mostly been when in the past I tried to cut corners on price. Cheap PSU's and cheap memory - both of these cause, by far, the greatest issues I've ever came accross in computers.

Dell PSU's are actually great quality parts, and are often underated for the watts they can actually pump out. I use a similar setup, with a HP Workstation - 8GB of DDR2 ECC RAM and a 3GHz Core 2 Duo (the latest releases with SSE4.1 instruction set) running as a Virtual Machine Host via Windows Hyper-V, using a battery backup write cache P400 Raid 5 Array. An absolutely solid setup that has never missed a beat. I did have a UPS, but that went the way of the dodo when the roof of the shed blew away...

At the end of the day, it depends on what you are doing with it, it's environment, and what is good enough. But if your putting a £220+ graphics card in there, get the better PSU.

I am gonna use multiple quotes now to make it easier even though it's rather unprofessional.

However, when you state "To me that's what is the most important other than a respect brand and the right among of Watt.", you may think this in the most important thing to you, but trust me, it's no good having nice all singing all dancing hardware for the PSU to blow it to pieces on the slightest issue with the line voltage, and if you have issues, or the PSU starts whining under load, the quality of the PSU will most certainly be high on your importance list.

That's why i check reviews first. I'll never buy a bad PSU, and i never have. Example i am currently use the AX760W.
But i can see on the replies i am getting that even though it's from a respected brand, doesn't mean it's great. I kinda knew that already, but i never thought that a brand like corsair will ever make a bad PSU - like you guys are making it seam like they do-. To me there is a huge difference between bad and great. What about good and good enough?

With PSU's you should always go with quality first. There are a lot of bad PSU's out there, even ones with brand names attached (For example, some Corsair ones). Seasonic is a very good, reliable, brand - and one you can trust.
If you can't afford a Seasonic 80+ rating PSU, then drop the requirement for the 80+ rating before you drop the quality of the PSU. As it has already been said, the PSU is most often the most overlooked piece of hardware - yet it has the most strenuous job, that when it goes wrong, has the most destructive consequencies.

Does it really have to be seasonic branded or PSU's manufactured by Seasonic? Are they really the only company that knows what they are doing?
I know mine is manufactured by seasonic, so that's good i suppose, but damn. Are any other company just retarded at making PSU's in comparison?
I am kinda thinking that's what you guys are saying. Is that how it is??

I can't believe that for the other hardware you are willing to buy and spend money on, you won't go the extra £20 for the superior PSU - in my books that's nuts.
I have never stated that. I never recommend bad PSU's. I am very much aware of the dangerous of having a bad PSU.

Last edited:
As for your second post. I get what you are saying. I'm gonna withdraw from that and take your word for it. :)

Btw, I've re-read my posts, and I read like a bit of an arse. Sorry for that, and please accept my appologies if I offended in anyway.

But i can see on the replies i am getting that even though it's from a respected brand, doesn't mean it's great. I kinda knew that already, but i never thought that a brand like corsair will ever make a bad PSU - like you guys are making it seam like they do-. To me there is a huge difference between bad and great. What about good and good enough?

That's the thing, some "brands" don't make a thing, and the last I knew Cosair didn't actually make any PSU's - they outsource the manufacture of these, to different manufacturers so quality can be hit and miss, then stick their name on it - essentially they are using their brand name, from other products, to do the selling for them.

The are not the only ones to do this, as such, there is actually only a handful of geniune PSU manufacturers out there worth their salt - the others either make crappy cheap PSU's that you really don't want to touch, or they buy another manufactureres and slap their name on it (Such as Corsair here).

Seasonic is essentially the go-to guy for a PSU if you want a decent quality one, as they make their own, and do it well. Tagan used to do really good ones, but I'm going back 10 years so I don't know what they are like now (wow, really that long....). Others you often have to research before you know you are getting a decent unit. When it comes to that, the what's good enough thing is, to me, a question of the faith you have in the reliabity and quality of the unit - not something you can automtically count on or gauge with some brands.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Btw, I actually got a Corsair 650W PSU a few years ago, and the whining it made was unbearable. Upon returning the thing, I noticed that that particular model was from one of the poorer manufacturers for Corsair.

I know it's a bit anal, but I'll never buy from them again - by doing what they do, they have demonstrated that their brand name means nothing and that they are willing to let standards slip under their brand name.

Last edited:
My own choices have been a bit poor at times (running a GTX280 on an Alpine 750W PSU that doesn't provide the minimum amps on the 12V rail to run it, but it worked and nothing cooked...)

But in my opinion the following PSU should suit you fine.

XFX Core Edition P1-750S-NLB9 750W Power Supply (PSU) XPS-750W-SEW - Scan.co.uk

EDIT: Having just read the reviews on my own personal HDD, (Alpine 750W) I think I'll be investing in the PSU I've just posted the link to myself...

Last edited:
It's very educational to hear other people opinion and i have learned something today (and yesterdays talk with celery)
I'll pay more attention on PSU built quality when suggesting them to people on the forum in the future.
I though before that if the brand is good and the price to performance ratio was good, then there shouldn't be much more to worry about.
Apparently there is.

XFX is a good line. All their model are Seasonic made.

Super Flower is another great maker but they are the provider to the European market as is Seasonic to the North American market.

The tier 3 PSUs are decent enough for the average user who just use their PCs to browse the net and play online games or do a household budget to name a few.

I have a Corsair 430CX in my i3 systen which is made by CWT. From my researches I learned a lot about PSUs and this is what started my quest for quality. CWT was a very poor maker that supposed to have cleaned up and make a decent product.

Only time will tell.

There are websites who tears down the PSUs and examine their parts and circuitry and what they said about Seasonic was very good. Better parts and extra circuitry for power protections.

Why they cost more and worth every cent.

Twice my Seasonic PSU protected my system. I had a power surge and the PSU shut down quick with a loud click. The next time was a brownout and it clicked off.

Over voltage? Covered.
Under voltage? Covered.

Yeah, it's worth it. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom