G-Mail Privacy

Because I can no longer edit the above post with what I wanted to add just a min ago, I will post it here.
Suddenlink was able to tell when someone at this house was downloading torrents. That was through everything that was supposed to keep us safe. You cannot even use the tor network without your ISP at least logging what you are doing.

If anyone expects true privacy on the internet, they shouldnt be posting or doing what they are. Your information goes through several servers before reaching the end, and no matter how much protection you use, it can be tracked. But what is being asked in this thread is how to stop the END server from tracking information. For that, my suggestion still stands.

Don't twist this around. It has nothing to do with illegalitys of individuals, it has to do with the illegalitys of companys like Google. They don't collect info on us to prevent crime or catch criminals. What they do is illegal. They have ties to the CIA n the NSA which are not known for their legality either. They have no right to spy on our private lives. And they don't have to target individuals if they read our e-mails. There are many people concerned about the illegalitys of companys like Google n intel agencys. We shouild all be concerned.

Anyways, I don't use my G-mail account very often because of privacy concerns, I use another e-mail account, but I wasn't sure about it, but I should have checked Wikipedia instead of here.

We are not twisting it around. We are simple educating you.

They don't collect info on us to prevent crime or catch criminals.
True. That's not the reason they do it. All info collected have a reason to be collected. Like making the use of their service easier and better for the user. It is however sometimes used to prevent chime by organizations like the NSA. This is a good thing.

What they do is illegal. They have ties to the CIA n the NSA which are not known for their legality either.
If what NSA does is legal or not is a hole other discussion that some agree in and some disagree in. That discussion can take days to complete. however Google are not doing anything illegal. If they did. they would have lawsuits up their a**
You are agreeing to they terms of usage.

Google don't literally read your email. They can and do grand the police access to your email.
If say CIA want's info on you and ask Google for it, they by law have to obey.
Don't think your other email service are any more secure. They also save your emails on their server(s). If CIA ask them about info about you they also have to obey. (if it's an american services that is. Some international services are protected by the laws in their country)

The main reason Google are saving searches is to make it browsing the web easier for you and give you more relevant ads.
You don't want to see ads about makeup do you.
The police can use your search history against you in court.
Like if you are suspected for terrorism and the police ask Google about you and you recently have searched for "how to make a bomb".
That's gonna be a huge defense against you in court. This is a good thing. It can (and has) made the difference between putting crazy people behind bars where they belong and letting them walk free.

Last edited:
The main reason Google are saving searches is to make it browsing the web easier for you and give you more relevant ads.
You don't want to see ads about makeup do you.

This pretty much sums it up. This is also how it knows when I start typing "Tor" in my search bar at work that it should suggest an auto-complete of "Tortoisesvn" instead of "Tortious"

They don't collect info on us to prevent crime or catch criminals. What they do is illegal

If you didn't give them permission to do so it is, but you did give them permission.

To quote google's terms of use (even just for the engine):
Google's privacy policies explain how we treat your personal data and protect your privacy when you use our Services. By using our Services, you agree that Google can use such data in accordance with our privacy policies.

This can be found here under the "Privacy and Copyright Protection" section: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/

because I'm too lazy to cherry pick quoteable lines, the two sections of their privacy policy that you should read are here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/?fg=1#infocollect https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/?fg=1#infouse

You'll also find if you go through any search engine or email system that these are pretty standard policies. In fact, I'd dare you to find any common email or search provider that doesn't collect information about your activities to try and build a profile about you. The sad reality of the internet is if you want to use it with any kind of ease, you've lost all right to anonymity because you said it was OK when you used the service.

I'm educated with articles like Criticisms of Google. You don't seem to be well educated on the CIA n NSA. They r not in the business of law enforcement or security or anything similar. And Google does have lawsuits against it, n misuse of personal data n violations of privacy r illegal. And the police can't use any information against me because I haven't committed any crimes.

This thread is over for me.

Just 1 more thing. This is from E-mail Privacy at Wikipedia.

In countries with a constitutional guarantee of the secrecy of correspondence, e-mail is equated with letters and thus legally protected from all forms of eavesdropping.

Intelligence agencies, using intelligent software, can screen the contents of e-mail with relative ease. Although these methods have been decried by civil rights activists as an invasion of privacy, agencies such as the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation conduct screening operations regularly. A lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union and other organizations alleges that Verizon illegally gave the U.S. government unrestricted access to its entire internet traffic without a warrant and that AT&T had a similar arrangement with the National Security Agency[9].

Whistleblower and former National Security Agency (NSA) employee William Binney has reported that the NSA has collected over 20 trillion communications via interception[11], including many email communications, representing one aspect of the NSA warrantless surveillance controversy.

All major companies are getting sued at some point or another. That's nothing new.
Like Samsung are constantly getting sued by Apple.

If you are so concerned about your "oh so special" privacy. You better leave the internet all together.
The internet isn't a place for paranoid people.

Last edited:
Also something I found that is relevant

Ad targeting in Gmail is fully automated, and no humans read your email or Google Account information in order to show you advertisements or related information.

Google does not rent, sell or share information that personally identifies you for marketing purposes without your express permission. No email content or other personally identifiable information is provided to advertisers.

- See more here https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6603?hl=en.

Back
Top Bottom