Thoughts about Microsoft msdn and Microsoft action pack.

jservais

Beta member
I started building computers about a year ago. I've recently began building a home server and am looking to build at least two htpc's. Every time I start a build I have a blast picking out parts and assembling the computer. The excitement fades quickly when it comes time to buy the software, which is so bloody expensive. I do prefer to use Microsoft products since I am so familiar with them and use these products daily at work. I also work long hours so I don't have a lot of time to learn how to configure a linux based system.

So finally to my questions:

Does anyone have experience with either Microsoft msdn or Microsoft action pack?

Can I purchase either for home use?

Is it worth the yearly fee?

I enjoy the idea of paying a yearly fee and have access to every piece of software I would need. In addition, upgrading my software for no extra cost is very appealing.

Thanks for the help!

MS used to have Technet subscriptions which were in the range of $200/yr but MS ended that program. You could certainly buy an MSDN subscription but they are around $600/yr and up.

Thank you for the response. I read that the action pack can still be purchased. Do you have any experience with this service?

I don't have experience with the Action Pack but it seems a little pricey at $475/year. I don't think they sell it to individuals, I believe you have to go thru some kind of application/qualification process to get approved for it for your business.

Strollin said it best. Way to expensive for my blood as well.
I know that you do not want to learn Linux, but perhaps you might look into it? I have used Ubuntu for servers and its got all of the features that you would want it to have, just a slight learning curve.

Back
Top Bottom