Samsung 840 EVO SSD - SATA2 only?

datkins91

In Runtime
Hello,

When using the Samsung Magician tool it is telling me that I have AHCI enabled (this was enabled after installing Windows) but that it's telling me my hard drive is connected to only a SATA2 port.. when ALL the SATA ports on my motherboard are SATA3? I've tried connecting it to all of the slots, but still says the same thing.. (originally it was saying SATA1, but after these changes, etc.. it now says SATA2?) Can anyone suggest what I do?

I've tried enabling and disabling AMD AHCI BIOS ROM, SATA IDE Combined Mode, Aggressive Link Power Management and other things in the BIOS, but nothing happens?

Have tried finding new drivers, etc. but all appears to be to date?

Edit: My motherboard is an ASrock 990FX Extreme 3

Attachments

• SSD.PNG
    SSD.PNG
    14.9 KB · Views: 7
I'm using the cable supplied with the hard drive itself, which I believe was stated for SATA3.

Actually, come to think of it, I think it may have been the motherboard that supplied the 2 cables.. not the hard drive. But either way, it says 'SATA 6Gb/s' on the cable.

Also I've tried both cables connected to the SSD.

Attachments

• 20141230_120509.jpg
    20141230_120509.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 3
Have you tried another program. Who knows, it could be wrong.

Yes I did wonder that, but then again the speeds on the drive aren't reporting as they should either.

Additionally, I don't know of another program that could tell me whether I'm connected through SATA3, unless you could let me know?

Yes I did wonder that, but then again the speeds on the drive aren't reporting as they should either.

Well then that settles it.
It's weird , don't really know what it could be then.
I don't know of that many harddrive analyzing tools unfortunately.
I never seam to have needed them. (other than a few partition tools and a program called folder size (You should check that out, It's great and it's free))

Last edited:
As far as I was aware, SATA II cables are internally virtually identical to SATA III. My old company benchmarked this and all 4 cables we tested all gave virtually identical data transfer speeds. (Two SATA II and two SATA III cables were tested) They all peaked at around 500MB/s when it was a simple sequential read. We concluded it was the interface, not the cable that provided the performance increase!

Did you install the SATA III drivers during the Windows 7 installation steps?

Back
Top Bottom