Transferring data

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Hello folks, hope you all had a great Christmas.

Question please, Is it possible to transfer the contents of a free standing hard drive (External Hard Drive) to a laptop?

If it is possible do I need to get any sort of special lead for connecting the two together?

Many thanks.

ehhh. You just plug in the USB cable and transfer the stuff you want.
Im i getting the question wrong?

I was thinking along those lines but then thought that it couldn't be that simple. Seems it might be after all. Thank you.

How else would you use an external drive? The question is puzzling because the answer is so simple which is why some are questioning whether we understand what you are asking.

You would need an adapter if you are talking about a bare drive, but if it's an external drive in a case then it should be a simple matter of plugging in the USB cable to the laptop. The external drive will then show up in Windows Explorer as another drive and you should be able to copy or move files/folders back and forth between the external drive and your laptop.

Is there more to the question?

If it USB then it'll be IDed, installed and ready once plugged in. Just like having two drives in the PC.

As stated above, all you have to do is plug in and copy.
There is a program that I used to use for large file transfers. If I can find it, and edit this post with a link to it.
Failing my finding it within 30 mins (the amount of time that you can edit your post in), I will simply create a new post.

EDIT
Found it: http://www.freefilesync.org/
Its crazy fast! It does not integrate with explorer like Teracopy, but it beats both Teracopy and Robocopy, so I would recommend giving it a try.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom