Intel Core i5 4460 3.1Ghz (3.3Ghz Turbo) LGA1150 Tray
Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Rev. 2
Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 for 1150
Lancool PC-K65B + Seasonic 600W
SAMSUNG DDR3 8GB 1600
Gigabyte GTX970 WF3 4GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB SATA3
Crucial M500 120GB SSD 2.5 Inch

now, when im turning the computer on,after 3-4 seconds its turned off.
I have no idea why its like that. the motherboard supports my processor and I dont think there is a problem with my power supply. I heard that 600W is enough for the GTX 970. can you guys help me? what can be the problem? thanks.

Yeah I would reseat the cpu cooler. Check your temps in the bios if you can but I bet anything that's the issue.

Is your CPU cooler installed correctly?
I think it is..
Yeah I would reseat the cpu cooler. Check your temps in the bios if you can but I bet anything that's the issue.

how can i check the temps bro? my computer shuts down after 3 seconds lol
and ill see the cpu cooler bro. ill check it out. are you guys sure that it can be the main problem?

Last edited:
I think it is..

how can i check the temps bro? my computer shuts down after 3 seconds lol
and ill see the cpu cooler bro. ill check it out. are you guys sure that can be the main problem?

If we could be sure of any of the suggestions that are made we would all be multi millionaires diagnosing problems over the internet or on the phone with guaranteed fixes. You have to start somewhere and in your case I think your main concern is to get your computer to stay on for more than 3 seconds so that you can do some diagnosing. It doesn't take long for a CPU to overheat so that is a good starting point. It could also be the power supply. Can you get hold of another power supply? One other question, is a self build or did someone else put it together? If it was someone else take it back.

If we could be sure of any of the suggestions that are made we would all be multi millionaires diagnosing problems over the internet or on the phone with guaranteed fixes. You have to start somewhere and in your case I think your main concern is to get your computer to stay on for more than 3 seconds so that you can do some diagnosing. It doesn't take long for a CPU to overheat so that is a good starting point. It could also be the power supply. Can you get hold of another power supply? One other question, is a self build or did someone else put it together? If it was someone else take it back.
it was self bulid. someone i know bulid it for me and he didnt make any mistakes building the computer cuz thats part of his job
anyway,I can get another power supply. ill check it out soon bro and comment again.

it was self bulid. someone i know bulid it for me and he didnt make any mistakes building the computer cuz thats part of his job
anyway,I can get another power supply. ill check it out soon bro and comment again.

LOL I have been building computers for the best part of 20 years and I can assure you that although it is "part of my job" I have made plenty of mistakes over that time that have rendered some my builds unusable. Also bad parts can and do get into the equation Unless you have access to the bits and pieces that go into building a computer then fault finding can be a nightmare unless you can get it going even just partially. The fault you describe could be anything. The three main contenders are the CPU, the MB or the PSU or a combination of all of those. It could also be the RAM or to a lesser degree the graphics card, sound card and even the HDD or the CD/DVD player. All of these things can (and do) cause the power supply to shut down. So other things to try are to unplug things one by one and see if the computer starts up. Even with the HDD disconnected it should still start up and stay started rather than shutting down after 3 seconds. As I have said your initial task is to try to get it to stay on for more than 3 seconds so that you can fault find.

I know this can sound a bit rediculous, but I have had issues where a brand new motherboard will not boot unless I clear the CMOS. It's one of the simpler tests/fixes you can do too.

If you have a manual for your motherboard, lookup how to do this as some motherboards have a backup capacitor for when your changing your battery that sometimes needs shorted.

Otherwise, unplug your machine (This needs done, otherwise the 5V+ auxiliary supply will keep the CMOS memory powered), remove the battery from your motherboard, go and chill for 10 minutes - have a coffee or something. Come back, replace the battery, plug it back in, and attempt to boot. It might take a bit longer depending on what the default BIOS settings are.

I second/third/whatever it is now: the suggestion that you check your memory (Ensure it's seated right) and CPU cooler. People are human, and mistakes happen. To assume that the builder is incapable of making a mistake is a bit of a folly. If none of this works, the Power Supply should be the next thing to look at...

Now the good news is, that combination of motherboard and CPU means that you have onboard graphics. Rip out your discreate graphics card, and use the onboard graphics. See if this lack of load allows the system to boot up. If it does then there are three possibilities: 1) The Graphics card has some flaw in that is it taking too much of a load that it is tripping the power supply, possible short? (The motherboard would, in 99% of cases, continue to boot with a dodgy graphics card), or 2) the powersupply is simply not able to handle the load and the 600W label is a bit of a gimmick (Or simply not high enough - I don't know the estimated load of your system from the top of my head, but I would expect that 600W should be enough), or 3) your Power Supply is simply faulty.
Try the Graphics card in another machine, and try a different PSU.

Report back if you can, and we'll take it from there.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Another thing, what model number is your Seasonic Power Supply?

Does it have a single +12V line, or more than one. If so, you need to ensure that you're not pulling all the amps from one line - as this will certainly overload that particular line and no-doubt trip the PSU.

Please supply a model number and I'll look this up. You want to power the motherboard and Graphics from two different +12V lines if possible, and if your graphics card takes more than one 6/8pin supply, try and take each supply from different +12V lines.

If you only have a single, monster +12V line, then this shouldn't matter, but we'll need the model number of this to confirm.

Back
Top Bottom