Gaming Rig Upgrade

Simply no. RAM fans are useless if you are not doing serious RAM overclock.
And serious RAM overclock isn't even worth it anymore. You can barely see a difference in performance between 1600 and 1866 mhz.

Simply no. RAM fans are useless if you are not doing serious RAM overclock.
And serious RAM overclock isn't even worth it anymore. You can barely see a difference in performance between 1600 and 1866 mhz.

Yeah I saw a video on that last night. If you take 2400 MHz ram and do a benchmark and take 1600 MHz ram, you see a minimal FPS difference. RAM fan = out. Is there any variant of the Radeon card that is quieter and isn't a small space heater? :rofl:

I also decided to go with a 3570K instead of the 4670K to save myself a few bucks. Will I see a significant performance difference between the two?
I run the 3570K and 2 660ti's super-clocked with no issues, ps 1000w the issue I have is with watchdogs, can't run on ultra, testing indicates I need a heavier power supply that said far cry 4 runs excellent, I also play around with 3D once in a while.

I run the 3570K and 2 660ti's super-clocked with no issues, ps 1000w the issue I have is with watchdogs, can't run on ultra, testing indicates I need a heavier power supply that said far cry 4 runs excellent, I also play around with 3D once in a while.

A PSU cannot be a bottle neck. If a PSU cannot provide enough power for a system, the system will shut down. Am I correct on this guys? :hide:

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

I know the Asus DirectCU II version is a quite one.
But you will have to check out some benchmarks to find the best one

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

This might help:
Noise Comparison Videos - Seven Radeon R9 280X Graphics Cards, Rounded-Up

I've seen that model in action, and I agree with you. My question is, the 280X already pwns the 560 Ti, which I currently have. I only do stuff like Far Cry 4, DayZ, and Arma III. Will I need a 290 or 290X to get 60 FPS, or will a 280X do?

A PSU cannot be a bottle neck. If a PSU cannot provide enough power for a system, the system will shut down. Am I correct on this guys? :hide:

It can actually be a battle neck. though that is only if you are using a way to small PSU for your system. The system will tell you if a hardware or more are not getting enough power. I have tried having a gaming GPU in a system with only a non 80+ certified 320W PSU. I could play games, but it was laggy and windows told me that my GPU was getting too little power. ofcause modern hardware have a fail safe. So if any part or the PSU it self are getting to hot or something goes wrong due to lag of power, it will shut down. But as long that doesn't happen (which it might not do. depends on different things) it can actually be a bottle neck.
If it indeed is bottle necking i'll quickly turn of the computer. Because it can actually kill your system.

Why?
I am sure you know the following, but in case you don't:
If a PSU is validated at 600W doesn't mean it can deliver power to a system that requires 600W. It actually can't. If a PSU are running at 100% for too long, it can break (might even take a couple of other components with it to the grave).
Always buy at least a PSU that will run your system at max power draw below 80% watts of what it's validated at.

The point of buying a quality PSU is more to increase efficiency (That will also save on your power bill) and reduce heat in the system. Reduction of heat can result in less noise from spinning fans, specially the PSU fan it self. My PSU (which is a very good one) simply refuses to get hot. The fan only starts spinning at 50% load. at 70% load the fan only spins 30-40%. So that's cool.

I've seen that model in action, and I agree with you. My question is, the 280X already pwns the 560 Ti, which I currently have. I only do stuff like Far Cry 4, DayZ, and Arma III. Will I need a 290 or 290X to get 60 FPS, or will a 280X do?

The card will handle farcry 4 on ultra in HD res at 60 FPS.
Far Cry 4 Benchmarked: Graphics & CPU Performance > Benchmark: 1920x1200 - TechSpot
So if that's your concern i'll say go for it.

Last edited:
Oh. I think I forgot to add that troygly is wrong. A "heavier" psu will do absolutely nothing in terms of performance in watchdogs

I just bought my 850 Watt Power Supply. Corsair HX850 Gold Plus Rated PSU. That will no longer be a factor to think of when upgrading XD

Just an update here: I wrecked my hard drive in my old system because I put it in another system that my boss sold me, then tried to put it back into the old system, and now on boot, the PC will boot, never makes it to the login screen before it just shuts off, and when you press the power button, you can hear the fans starting, they run for a couple seconds, then just shut off. Oh well, I ordered a Seagate 2 TB SSHD so when that gets here, and whenever my CPU is here, I will install my OS on the SSHD and transfer over the files from my old hard drive, then I will be selling off my old system. With the dinero that I get from my old system, I'm breaking down and getting a GTX 980, or 970.

Back
Top Bottom