Voltage Regulator and Buzzing Sounds!

Thanks for the help, Connchri.

The A/C unit is/was actually not connected to the regulator. I was referring to it as a cause for the regulator regulating the current/voltage only. But still if that really means something I still fail to see, the A/C is a wall mount like this one:
General Airconditioners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I remember correctly, I think the A/C was off at the time the regulator started acting up. I live in a building full of A/C's and other heavy electrical devices, so I think they also affected it.

But with your last post, I guess I won't worry too, but it is still annoys my sleep!

Hmm, very strange indeed. The only thing that the A/C unit could possibly do is cause a voltage drop at the mains that means the regulator needs to take more amps to keep a load supplied with a steady 220Vac, but I would never think that this would be significant enough to cause any issue - the mains should be able to limit the load regulation well enough so that it's barely noticable, this isn't (or shouldn't be) a problem in any western nation, but if you are in Saudi Arabia, they might have issues - I don't know anything about the state of their electrical grid, only ever worked on supplying them a new transformer... for an airports own power station... I guess that says it all really, lol.

That being said, if the reason for the regulator is because of this very thing, then that could also make the regulator work harder and causing the problems.

Bottom line, these things are usually well built with pleanty of protection built in. It appears to be from a decent manufacurer, and Japanese at that. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it fails, it fails, but I doubt very much that it will take any equipment out with it if you have them surge protected.

Sorry for getting your posts a bit mixed up - I'm usually reading them half asleep :S

Last edited:
Thanks man :D

Right now I'm connected directly and yesterday the USB headphones stopped working in the middle of a movie. This was in the first run with the regulator disconnected after about a week because of this problem. Before the regulator I had similar problems too that the monitors flickered and USB devices stopped working. I think is it the building. I'm in the third floor and A/C all around the building are known to work much because of our hot weather even in winter.

I'll take the unit back some time this week to the shop and see if they would replace it once I tell them the story. Maybe it is something specific to this brand. The most sold here.

Where I work we use the same brand for printing machines and they seem to fare well, but so far I only saw 1500W units.

Update:

I replaced the unit. The shop just returned it without any questioning. We even tested the first and it worked perfectly over there. Weird.

Let's see what this one does.

Update 2:

The new unit is working normally after 3 months. The first one worked for like a week only before that all happened.

Back
Top Bottom