internet help

those results are pretty poor.

but, what it does tell us is this:

your local network has a router with the address 192.168.0.1

where it gets a little confusing after that is what happens next.
if I do a traceroute to google 8.8.8.8 DNS servers I get
192.168.0.1 (my internal router address)
then straight onto a pubic address (one not starting in either 10. 127 . 172.32 or 192.168)

yours seems to run around a bunch of private IP addresses first.

do you have two routers set up? or a DMZ setup on your router.
it looks like your router has it's gateway as 192.168.1.1

then it seems to jump off to yet another private internal address 192.168.144.1

This is very clearly happening inside your ISPs network (as no public addresses are reached at that point), and that is where all the latency is occurring.

After that it looks like spains telefonica Ip services network is having some issues with their back bone connection to other telefonica stuff.

Red de servicios IP - telefonica wholesale

the bad news is that the huge latency is probably due to a poor connection from your "last mile" provider.

these are the guys who sell the service (for example most of the copper cable in America is owned by Bell, most of the coper cable in the UK is owned by BT).
but they allow people to connect to their cable and sell services.

then those service need to link into an internet peer (where they may have a given speed). it looks like your provider has a poor speed connection into that tier 1 or tier 2 ISP.

So two problems.

the first is the speed of your providers connection to their provider.
ISPs make a concious business decision that they will over subscribe and under provide. that's why they sell broadband listed as "speeds up to xyzMb" up to is their legal get out for selling a single 20Mb connection to 20 people as 20Mb, sure if they take it in turns and only 1 person at a time uses it then they probably will get that speed, but when all 20 people use it they get 1Mb!

the second problem, (dropped packets) suggests some kind of infrastructure problem, the good news is that its on telefonicas network. they are a pretty big player in the grand scheme of things. and there is serious money there, so that issue probably will be fixed when it's noticed.

Wow thanks for clearing all that up for me but as for the 2 router thing I know I only have one and I overheard the guy say he has another one downstairs (guessing that's for the whole building) but that's all I know again thank you very much :)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Ok guys sorry to bring this topic back up but after a long time arguing with the guy from my ISP he says he can do nothing no help, but he does say (I don't know much about networking) that I can use a proxy server to make my connection better or setup a proxy server to make my connection better, now I have been doing a little research on proxy servers and all I have found is that it makes for better security, any advice would be great guys :)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

The normal proxy should be auto set.
Take it from someone who is legit parionide when I say that I stand behind a few proxies, they do not help with your speed.

Back
Top Bottom