Application that can pass values to two separate stand-alone applications

jezza10181

Beta member
Hi,

I am using Windows 7, and I want an application that I may write in the future, to be able to pass values into various fields of a particular bespoke application that I am running, and also at the same time, to write those same values into various fields of an Excel spreadsheet.

How would this be done? I have read about 'data scraping' and also about the Windows API. Would either of these be appropriate for this task?

Any recommendations appreciated.

Jeremy Watts

Nice to meet you.
I would like to suggest that you learn the basics before you take on such a task. I would recommend that you start with VB, although there are plenty of places to start...

Thanks for the reply,

yes, I am at the moment doing a course on VB. I've heard of VBA (?) too, that allows macros to be written that can pass values to Excel etc.

Would you recommend using VB then for this sort of idea?

Thanks

I would highly recommend VBA actually, and this website can help: Excel VBA Tutorial - Easy Excel Macros

That site deals directly with your issue. VBA stands for Visual Basic for Applications, and it works pretty well. Because you are taking classes for VB, you should be able to latch onto VBA pretty quickly.

I hope that this helps. :)

Back
Top Bottom