laptop display issue

copiman

In Runtime
I have a laptop that the display shows a faint light in the background. Does not show anything else. I attached an external monitor and got nothing. I have reset the cmos battery and still no go. Any ideas?

Could be the back light that has packed up. The display works by exciting pixcels on the actual screen that gives you the display characters and colours and then a light is shone through the front display area to light up the display. If the back light packs up then you can see the display but only when the ambient light is shining at the right angle on to the screen and this looks very very dark. You can replace just the back light, if that is what is gone, but it isn't an easy job. I have done a couple and it can be a bit fiddly. You can get back lights off EBay but they are specific to the make of laptop.

Yes, i hear fans, hdd, dvd homing up. So, you would think the mobo? If so, do you know a reputable place to get mobo's?

Last edited:
Don't have any ram. I can buy some if you think they are bad. Let me know.

I have been searching the web and found that the HP Pavilion G60 series has a problem overheating causing the GPU on the mobo to go bad. The intake for air is on the bottom and using it in your lap will cause it to overheat.

Thought I would throw that in.

Hi copiman,

I'm afraid you are probably right. On the HP G60 it's most probably the GPU thats failed (or sometimes, the solder on the motherboard for the GPU).

If you have two modules of RAM, chances are that both haven't failed at the same time. So take one module out (remember to remove the battery first), and try to boot the machine up with the one module of RAM, then try putting it in the other RAM slot if that doesn't work. Then take that module of RAM out and put the second one in, and repeat.

If you're getting nothing on an external monitor then the problem is not with the laptop screen, and if swapping the RAM around doesn't help, then it's not the RAM. That leaves motherboard, CPU and GPU, in which case, you're probably better off getting a new laptop. Some people get their GPU resoldered onto the board (reflowing), but this is not worth doing in my opinion, for one, ofte the company doesn't even replace the solder, they just heat up the solder already on the board, which I'm not really a fan of...

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. I've decided to go with the mobo being bad. This is a friends laptop. I will suggest she look at getting another laptop.

Back
Top Bottom