Windows 10

Yep I have just started using Linux (Linux Mint 17) for a lot of my computing needs. On the computer that I put it on. an emachines netbook, it found all the drivers for me except for the wireless card which I did have to faff about with to get on. Okay Linux still isn't as easy as Windows to install but it is getting there. So, as you say, Microsoft have got a huge mountain to climb before it catches up with some of the other OS providers.
Not as easy to install? I found it pretty simple... :confused:

I think you both know exactly what I mean. Linux is most definetly NOT easy to install and set up UNLESS you know what you are doing. Obviously you both do know what you are doing as do I but to a novice Linux is not as easy to use or to set as Windows is. All the machines that I use, and I have four computers for various reasons, all take Windows without any faffing about looking for drivers. If I do not have the driver they will all go and look on the internet for drivers and automatically install those drivers. I haven't had a computer yet that hasn't found an ethernet driver on initial install of Windows. They are all fairly modern machines, apart from my netbook, and they just work after installing Windows. When I put Mint 17 on my netbook it did not find the wireless driver. I had to do the sudo apt-get stuff to put it on. That is "faffing" about.

I am glad that you both are knowledgeable enough to do this sort thing. I am also glad that I know how to do it but most people are not able to put drivers into Windows or Linux, on occasion, without "faffing." In windows it is relatively easy by just going to the device manufacturer's web site and downloading the Windows driver. Even now a lot of device manufacturer's do not support Linux.

Lets refer to Ubuntu for a moment. That thing will litterally do the exact same things that windows will do, only it tends to have third party drivers that work better than the ones from the manufacturers. But to each their own. I do prefer windows as my main work environment, but even when I was very new to Linux, the installation was the easiest part to pull off. It required no extra work than windows did.

Yeah Linux have gotten easier and easier to install and use over the years.
But they haven't always been this easy to setup.

As I said Linux is not as easy as Windows to set up and until it becomes as easy then Microsoft do not have a lot to worry about.

Now to get back to the thread topic. I finally got build 9879. Took ages to set up my computer but the fonts problem I had has not re-surfaced. I didn't do anything. A blue box suddenly popped up saying we are updating your computer and we will tell you when you when we have finished. According to the email that I got from Gabe Aul this will be the last build this year. So we shall see how this goes. There isn't any, noticeable, difference with this build other than the build number has changed and, apart from the the fonts problem that I had, I haven't had any trouble with Windows 10 so far. My only gripe is that it isn't such a huge change from Windows 8.1.

I think you both know exactly what I mean. Linux is most definetly NOT easy to install and set up UNLESS you know what you are doing. Obviously you both do know what you are doing as do I but to a novice Linux is not as easy to use or to set as Windows is. All the machines that I use, and I have four computers for various reasons, all take Windows without any faffing about looking for drivers. If I do not have the driver they will all go and look on the internet for drivers and automatically install those drivers. I haven't had a computer yet that hasn't found an ethernet driver on initial install of Windows. They are all fairly modern machines, apart from my netbook, and they just work after installing Windows. When I put Mint 17 on my netbook it did not find the wireless driver. I had to do the sudo apt-get stuff to put it on. That is "faffing" about.

I am glad that you both are knowledgeable enough to do this sort thing. I am also glad that I know how to do it but most people are not able to put drivers into Windows or Linux, on occasion, without "faffing." In windows it is relatively easy by just going to the device manufacturer's web site and downloading the Windows driver. Even now a lot of device manufacturer's do not support Linux.

Shall we just take each of our statements as personal views/experience and move on. I just know that when I installed a Linux derived OS, I ran the installation, didn't have to modify anything, and it worked perfectly from first boot-up.

So i have just realized that when Windows 10 wants to update, it really wants to update.
It tells me that that it's gonna update in 15 minutes. Do i want to restart now or close.
I say close. Then it comes up with the message again later saying it's gonna restart in 5 minutes. I realize it's gonna restart no matter what. I was not ready to restart yet. Usually when there are updates i shutdown the computer when work is done, then the day after i turn on the computer and go get my coffee and prepare for a new day of work. By that time it's done applying the update and i can get to work.

What happened to the postpone 1 or 4 hours? It's annoying but nut as annoying as forcing me to restart. Hope it get's fixed before the final release

Last edited:
Nothing happens if you keep refusing to restart. When you shut down, it will install updates like normal. It keeps bugging you because Microsoft... I dont know why they are doing this.

Back
Top Bottom