HDD to SSD

Raithed

Solid State Member
Hi All,

I am planning on getting a 120GB SSD, I currently have a 2TB HDD which is partitioned into C and D drives, there is no way for me to shrink my 2TB to 120GB as I have 2 storage spaces, as such, is it possible for me to install Windows on my 120GB and boot it up from there?

I do not have another Windows Product key, is it possible for me to use the same key once I have my SSD installed with Windows OS? My Windows Product key is only for one machine, and this is still the same machine.

What other options do I have besides this?

Appreciate it.

The simple answer is yes, you very much can. In fact, a lot of people do that.
Just plug in the SSD, and install windows onto it as you would any other drive.

I have used the same license key on multiple computers throughout multiple reinstalls for a long time now without any complications. As long as you have the license, it will be fine.

Draygoes, thank you in advance, I was afraid it would be no and it would be hard to workaround that but I am glad that it is feasible.

Do I have to burn Windows into a disc or can I just install the .iso into it? Thanks.

You will have to burn the iso to disk, boot from the disk, and install windows as you would normally. Just make sure that you select the SSD as the drive you wish to install windows on.

I thought you wanted to migrate the same installation from the HDD to the SSD.

But since I was wrong, it is really easy to do that.

I suggest not connecting the HDD at all while installing the OS on the new SSD. I also suggest burning the iso to a disk in the lowest burning speed possible. Dunno why, but all OS burning guides recommend that.

I thought you wanted to migrate the same installation from the HDD to the SSD.

But since I was wrong, it is really easy to do that.

I suggest not connecting the HDD at all while installing the OS on the new SSD. I also suggest burning the iso to a disk in the lowest burning speed possible. Dunno why, but all OS burning guides recommend that.
Both good points. :)

I had to use a Product Key from another machine which I know is reusable, I couldn't find the Product Key for my main PC. Lame.

I think there is a way to get the Product Key from the properties of "My Computer".

The money is actually on the product key you know, so losing it means losing the money you paid for Windows.

Yeah I know, this sucks :(

I went to My Computer but it is just the ProductID, if you know where the Key is, I'd love to know.

Back
Top Bottom