Outside of introductions, lets get to know eachother...

Notice I said "oil-less". I used to use one of those fryers with the peanut oil. Heating up gallons of oil to boiling and then lowering a turkey into it resulted in a great tasting turkey but the whole thing was pretty dangerous, messy and expensive. My new fryer doesn't use oil, claims it cooks via infrared. I don't care how it does it because it turns out great. Another thing, with the turkey fried in oil you had no drippings to use to make gravy. The oil-less fryer has a drawer at the bottom for you to put a pan in there to catch the drippings so we can have real gravy to pour over our mashed potatoes and stuffing.

I hope you enjoy your Turkey but the thought of using all that dripping oil in gravy just gives me horror visions of blocked arteries, same as for cooking a whole turkey in a fryer full of oil.

I hope you enjoy your Turkey but the thought of using all that dripping oil in gravy just gives me horror visions of blocked arteries, same as for cooking a whole turkey in a fryer full of oil.

I agree. :lol: I guess what can be said though, is at least this way it's actually better than it was as no extra oil is actually being added!

Guys, this is the wonderful time of the year when we get to indulge with no thought or reguard to our own safety! Love it... embrace the turkey! Like many pet lovers, you and your bird get to become one! :D

Thanksgiving isn't the same without turkey gravy made from the drippings. It may not be the healthiest thing you could eat but it sure is delicious!

BTW, a turkey fried in oil is not oily at all. The oil is brought to boiling before the turkey is lowered into it. The hot oil immediately sears the turkey which keeps the oil from seeping in or the juices from getting out. This results in a very moist and succulent bird and prevents drying out the meat which can happen quite easily when baked in the oven.

In the UK if you want something deep fried take it to a chip shop :)

you can get deep fried chicken any time of the week (except sundays when they all seem to be closed).

but why have deep fried chicken when you could get a deep fried and battered chocolate bar?

In the UK if you want something deep fried take it to a chip shop :)

you can get deep fried chicken any time of the week (except sundays when they all seem to be closed).

but why have deep fried chicken when you could get a deep fried and battered chocolate bar?

Root, 10 out of 10 for those fried chocolate bars.:D

Yea we have fish & chip shops in Australia & yes I have had the deep fried chocolate Mars bars :eek: a few years back but that fad has waned off these days.;)

Fried chicken, fish & chips, fried Twinkies & Mars bars all have a coating or batter that they are dipped in before frying. The coating absorbs the oil during frying and adds lots of calories and fat.

When you fry a turkey, there is no batter or coating, the heat sears the turkey which prevents oil from being absorbed so it doesn't add calories and fat.

Fried chicken, fish & chips, fried Twinkies & Mars bars all have a coating or batter that they are dipped in before frying. The coating absorbs the oil during frying and adds lots of calories and fat.

When you fry a turkey, there is no batter or coating, the heat sears the turkey which prevents oil from being absorbed so it doesn't add calories and fat.
Aww, thats no fun. Shouldnt the bird get a shot at some payback too? :D

Back
Top Bottom