SSD upgrade for Dell Inspiron 2330

Alex123

Beta member
Hi all. Sorry for this extremely specific question.

I was looking to upgrade my Dell Insprion 2330 all-in-one PC to a solid state drive, to improve the performance. Firstly, does anyone know if this is this possible? If so, is it practical?

Currently I have the factory 2TB hard disk installed and it seems a shame to loose all that storage space. From what I have seen it may be possible to replace the blu-ray drive with an SSD instead? Primarily I would be looking to run my operating system and programs off of the SSD and then use the existing drive for the bulk of my storage. That being said I am not sure if I would want to loose my blu-ray player either! I don't use it all that much, but it is still nice to have it there.

I have seen someone online making the upgrade to another all-in-one where they effectively stick (double sided tape) the SSD to a free space in the compartment, using the input from the previously from the optical drive and then connect the optical to one of the USB ports, but this seems a bit risky and cumbersome to me?

I understand I may need to make some compromises to make the upgrade, so hopefully someone will be able to point me in the best direction and tell me whether it is really worth it. My PC doesn't run slow by any stretch, but from what I have seen it can make a big difference!

Thanks in advance.

I have been looking into somthing similer actually, as it does provide a huge increase. They are just too expensive right now for my blood, even for the performance boost.

I am sure BikerEcho or someone with a lot more hardware experience than I have will be able to give you better advice than I ever could, so all I can do for now is wish you luck friend.

Is it possible. Sure. Practical.. well if you want speed, have the money and can live with the low capacity of an SSD, i'll say yes. It's a HUGE difference. I can't live without an SSD in my system.

It will be possible to swap your blue ray with an SSD. Only problem is that nether the cage that holds your HDD and the Bluray are optimized for 2½ inch drives. So using double sided tape could work. SSD's are not that heavy. I'll say go for it.

Thanks for your help BikerEcho.

I am leaning towards just taping the SSD in place, as I would like to keep the blu-ray. From what I can tell the only space is directly against the optical drive, do you think that would be an issue? (Vibration, static, etc.)

If I did do that, do you have any thoughts on connecting to a USB port? As I mentioned, I saw someone else online do the same, by buying an adapter cable, but they did apparently have issues with recognition of the drive that way.

Otherwise I did come across this online the other day, would it work to replace the optical drive?
HDD SSD Caddy 2nd CD DVD Optical Bay for Dell Inspiron One 23 2330 2320 2305 2350 All in One Desktop PC Second Hard Disk Drive-in Other Computer Products from Computer & Networking on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Thanks again for all your help!

I am leaning towards just taping the SSD in place, as I would like to keep the blu-ray. From what I can tell the only space is directly against the optical drive, do you think that would be an issue? (Vibration, static, etc.)
Not at all. SSD's don't vibrate and you can actually shake them too hell when running and nothing will happen.

If I did do that, do you have any thoughts on connecting to a USB port? As I mentioned, I saw someone else online do the same, by buying an adapter cable, but they did apparently have issues with recognition of the drive that way.

You want to clone your current drive onto the SSD?
In that case you need some kind of converter that can make you SSD external or simply take out your bluray temperately and place the SSD in it. After the cloning you can swap the SSD with your HDD and place back in your blue ray.

That'a a cool converter. If you can live without your blue ray, use that. CD/DVD/BlueRay are about to be outdated anyway.

Okay great.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, it was the optical drive which they had permanently connected to USB, but it did seem to have some minor connection issues. It seemed a bit messy, but that way the existing HDD could be kept in addition to the SSD.

Thanks once more for your advice, it has certainly helped me to feel a bit more confident about making the upgrade. Now I just have to find a good deal on a reasonable sized SSD. I'm hoping the Black Friday sales will prove to be useful!

Glad to help.
Quick note, Instead of trying to get your internal optical drive to work as an external, just buy a USB DVD drive. They are cheap and works well.

This one will work fine. It's cheap, looks good and is powered by USB. So it's a little slow, but it's fast to connect and you don't need to power it via an AC adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...&qid=1416551169&sr=8-5&keywords=dvd+usb+drive

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom