Windows 10

pete.i

Daemon Poster
Hi all.
I have got my hands on an evaluation copy of Windows 10. It's no big deal anyone with a Microsoft account can become an evaluator. I evaluated Windows 8 as well but don't flame me for that I had nothing to do with the final release LOL. Anyway I'm not that impressed at the moment, it doesn't seem to be a lot different from Windows 8. The start button is back but not quite the same as Windows 7 but much better than Windows 8. Of course it is early days as yet. The official version of Windows 10 is not due out until mid 2015 so we shall see. I have only been using it for a couple of hours so I will endeavour to keep this thread updated with my experiences.

I thought we already had a thread discussing Win10? :confused:
Well, in any case, what we are seeing right now is not even close to perfect. MS still thinks that there is a market for an os that works for both desktop and tablet, and they are wrong. But, I believe the reason for this is because of the tablets that they are trying to pass off as a "Laptop and Tablet Combined", when all it is happens to be a tablet with a keyboard that you can remove. :lol:

To me it's not so much that they try to combine both a tablet and desktop version.
They have made that part better than in windows 8. The main problem to me it's simply the lag of new stuff. There are almost nothing here to replace win8 so far.
Sure it has a new start menu (not one that i fancy very much) but for any cool new things there are things that i would like they didn't change or add.

I can't see why they would skip Windows 9. There are nothing that makes you think this version of windows are 2 "generations" ahead of windows 8.

Terry Myerson (Leader of the Windows and Xbox operating system groups at Microsoft) said:
We have done Windows 7, we have done Windows 8. Now would it be the time for Windows 9. but we know based on the product that's coming, and just how different our approach will be overall. It wound't be right to call it Windows 9.

This statement is total bulls**t
We all know why they did it. It was because they wanted to separate them as much as possible for the unpopular windows 8.

Last edited:

Should request for them to be merged.

Any who I've had a play with Windows 10 and I don't mind it. I do find a bit of lag running it in a VM with 2GB of ram and an i5 CPU but its not that bad. I do like that you don't boot straight into the start screen by default anymore. I've installed Chrome with no issues but when browsing and loading pages they go huge then back to their original size other than that I haven't tested in any other programs..

I thought we already had a thread discussing Win10? :confused:
Well, in any case, what we are seeing right now is not even close to perfect. MS still thinks that there is a market for an os that works for both desktop and tablet, and they are wrong. But, I believe the reason for this is because of the tablets that they are trying to pass off as a "Laptop and Tablet Combined", when all it is happens to be a tablet with a keyboard that you can remove. :lol:
You obviously have never used a MS Surface Pro. I have one and it certainly is a "Laptop and Tablet Combined" not just "a tablet with a keyboard that you can remove.". I have a Surface Pro 3 and it functions very well as a tablet or as a laptop. I also have a dock for it and when plugged into the dock, it makes a pretty decent desktop replacement as well. The Surface is squarely in the "ultrabook" category of computers.

As for Win 10, I have been using it since the preview was first released. It's OK, I'm not that enamored with the new Start Menu since I never missed it in Win 8 (I don't use Classic Shell or any other app to add a Start Menu). I really haven't used the Start Menu since Win 2000 which is when I discovered Toolbars (not browser Toolbars but Toolbars on the Windows Taskbar). The Start Menu is redundant and not needed but unfortunately there are too many users that simply can't use a Windows computer without one. MUI apps are now resizable, which is great, but I don't use MUI apps on my desktop and don't need them to be resizable on my tablet.

My take on Win 10 is that I probably won't upgrade any of my systems to it once it's released but would use it if I built or bought a new computer which is the same opinion I had of Win 8 when it first came out. For the foreseeable future, Win 10 will be relegated to being run in a VM for me.

Last edited:
You obviously have never used a MS Surface Pro. I have one and it certainly is a "Laptop and Tablet Combined" not just "a tablet with a keyboard that you can remove.". I have a Surface Pro 3 and it functions very well as a tablet or as a laptop. I also have a dock for it and when plugged into the dock, it makes a pretty decent desktop replacement as well. The Surface is squarely in the "ultrabook" category of computers.
Actually, you are right. I have never used one. I based my opinion on the commercials that they show. :whistling:

Okay that didn't last long. I received an automatic update to Windows 10 today. I now have build 8960. After it had updated and rebooted my computer the fonts were, mostly, unreadable. I tried to use the Microsoft feedback app that comes with Windows 10 but I couldn't read the screen to log in to it. I then went on the internet and logged in to the evaluation forums and tried to post in there but whilst it did let me type it then would not submit my post. So basically that particular Win 10 build has rendered by computer unworkable. I am using Windows 10 on a separate hard drive which I plug into my computer after removing my "working" hard drive. Luckily this is very easy to do with the laptop that I using. Anyway problem is now that because I do not use the Windows 10 Hard drive for general computer use and the Win 10 install on that hard drive is virtually unuseable I cannot see how I can get any more updates. I have posted on the Microsoft Windows 10 Facebook page to see if I can get any help there so we shall see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom