Laptop Issues

DogSong

Daemon Poster
We have a laptop in here that is having a ton of issues. First off, it claims Windows 8 needs activated (and there is no Windows 8 serial # on it) and not only that, but it will not connect to a wired or wireless network. We scanned for viruses, found nothing. We even tried restoring to a point in the system, three different times, and none of those worked. What shall I try now?

Well, I must ask this, where you using a downloaded/cracked version of windows? Please do not take that the wrong way, but if so, that is your problem. We do not judge here, so feel free to answer with the truth no matter what. We will continue to try to help no matter what.

Well, I must ask this, where you using a downloaded/cracked version of windows? Please do not take that the wrong way, but if so, that is your problem. We do not judge here, so feel free to answer with the truth no matter what. We will continue to try to help no matter what.

Umm, no. A customer brought it in to Staples, and this is what happened. It's a brand new laptop, Geniune Windows

Have you checked inside where the ram and hard drive, They hide them in there now..

We're actually not allowed to take the computer apart without probable cause and that wouldn't suite the probable cause. We called the lady and asked her to bring in the original box because apparently the box will have the serial key on it. I will post another question when we get that working, but the next problem coming up is that the computer will not connect to a wired or wireless network.

I have had a similar issue with a brand new laptop. Microsoft are making it extremely hard to scam product numbers these days , which is a good thing. They are using bios based product keys. The MS adage that "your product key dies with your computer" is becoming that much closer although not quite there yet. have a look at this link:-

Windows 8 moves to BIOS-based product keys - CNET

I'm afraid, in spite of some views that will agree with everything that Microsoft does, in my view if I buy a product key to use Windows then providing I have only used that version of Windows on one computer then I should be able to use it on any computer providing, as I have said, (just to make it crystal clear) I am only using on that specific computer.

Anyway have a look at that link. I needed to reinstall my daughters laptop without all the Toshiba crap (read whatever manufacturer's name you like instead of Toshiba) and found that the only way I could do it was to put the machine back to factory settings which, of course put all the junk back on. I did get the product number using Belarc advisor but you do need to disable boot security and the UEFI entries in your bios.

Also be aware that most new computers will not come with any OS or driver software on disks. So if your hard drive goes down then the only way to reinstall the original software, other than buying another product number, is to reinstall from the back up disks that you should have made when you purchased the computer. Which, of course puts all the computer manufacture's crap back on as well.

The connection issue is quite strange actually, and has me a bit baffled.
As you know, windows 8 almost depends on an internet connection, so it should be trying with everything that it has to find one.
Have you tried to install new drivers for the card? That can be done using a flash drive, or if it will work with a hard line ethernet connection, it will be that much better. Find out what the wireless card is, and try grabbing its drivers from the creators website. Uninstall the current driver (if you can) and install the new one.

The connection issue is quite strange actually, and has me a bit baffled.
As you know, windows 8 almost depends on an internet connection, so it should be trying with everything that it has to find one.
Have you tried to install new drivers for the card? That can be done using a flash drive, or if it will work with a hard line ethernet connection, it will be that much better. Find out what the wireless card is, and try grabbing its drivers from the creators website. Uninstall the current driver (if you can) and install the new one.

Okay, I don't mean to sound like a prick, but you're preaching to the choir. We all know this. I've tried that. I'm wanting to know if the hardware might possibly be shot or we have a TCPIP problem

Your not sounding like a prick, at least, I didnt take it that way.
I figured you would probably know, but we have all gone through all of the harder solutions before remembering the simpler ones in the past too right? Or is that just me? I know for a fact that I have skipped the simpler solutions by forgetting that I had not tried them yet.
I should also inform you that this really is not where I specialize, so I am taking stabs at what the problem can be. I specialize in malware removal, but this clearly isnt an infection (pointing out the obvious here). Without the system in front of me I am not able to do the tests that I would want to.

Have you tried at least swapping the card to make sure thats not the issue? Is that possible from your position?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom