Is my basic definition of DHCP correct?

Benj94

Solid State Member
Is there anything in my basic definition of DHCP that is incorrect? Is there anything else that I should know? I am trying to develop a basic knowledge of DHCP.

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is a protocol that assigns dynamic IP Addresses to devices on a network. All devices on a TCP/IP network require an I.P. address. DHCP automatically assigns a dynamic I.P. address to a device when it joins the network. DHCP is a server service. A DHCP server has a scope from which I.P. Addresses can be assigned. I.P. Addresses that are assigned to devices are leased to that device. These leases can be configured to last a certain amount of time, before it releases the I.P. address back into the pool, ready for another device to use that address. The leases automatically renew themselves if after a certain percentage of the lease time, the device is still on the network. This can also be configured to try renew the lease multiple times, at different occasions.
When a device connects to a network, a request for an I.P. will be sent out over the network. This is called DHCP Discover. The DHCP server will then send a DHCP offer, which is an offer of an I.P. address. The device will then send a DHCP request to the DHCP Server to inform it that the I.P. address has been received. Then the DHCP Server will send an acknowledgement to the device.

well, depending on the client's settings, DHCP can/will also assign subnet masks, default gateway information and DNS settings.

Also, the Windows DHCP server can have multiple scopes across multiple subnets with multiple IP ranges and up to 4 (i think?!) different DNS addresses.

err, DHCP trivia...

The client will need to have the DHCP Service running to obtain a DHCP assigned address... DHCP is usually running on the router for a home network but corporate networks usually a server or some other Windows/UNIX host will be in charge of DHCP etc etc.

Last edited:
Just a quick thing...
You say:
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is a protocol that assigns dynamic IP Addresses to devices on a network.

It is better to say.
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is a protocol that dynamically assigns IP Addresses to devices on a network.

Once the IP address is assigned it's fixed for the lease duration, not dynamic.

Back
Top Bottom