Chromecast

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So I've been very interested in buying a Chromecast and just wanting to know if anyone else here has brought one and what they think of it. I've looked at reviews on various sites and they think they are good and are basically a mini projector..

I ordered one the first day they were announced. I used it awhile and had high hopes that there would be lots of apps that support it but that support hasn't materialized. Edit: I hadn't looked at the app situation in awhile. Just looked and there are quite a few apps available now.

I wouldn't call it a projector, it essentially turns your Android or iOS device into a remote control to play, pause, stop, etc... while playing videos from Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc...

I ended up buying a Roku 3 which has far more capabilities (but cost 3X as much) and don't use the Chromecast anymore.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it a projector,

Agree.
But it's still well worth the money. I use it when i have guests. It's quick and easy to get some music going, watch Youtube and more. It basically turns your TV into a smart TV.

My only complaint is that it doesn't show full resolution when using the chromecase extension on your computer. Also screen casting from your phone isn't great ether.

But considering the price, it's great. it does what i need it to do. And i only payed 45 dollars.

I paid $35 for mine and also got a $25 Google Play credit so actual cost was $10.

I still prefer my Roku but the Roku is more expensive.

I'd probably use the Chromecast more if it had support for Windows and Windows Store apps. You can "cast" from a Chrome browser window on Windows but you don't get sound on the TV, the sound still comes from your laptop or whatever.

Last edited:
Everything is more expensive in Denmark.
However we earn more on average than the average USA citizen. So i guess it more equal than it sounds.

Well Google is supposed to be announcing Chromecast 2 from what I've been reading so might just wait and see if those rumors are true, May even get a better deal..

I'd probably use the Chromecast more if it had support for Windows and Windows Store apps. You can "cast" from a Chrome browser window on Windows but you don't get sound on the TV, the sound still comes from your laptop or whatever.

I use this extension in Chrome and it works perfectly. You can also use things like the Plex app. I love my Chromecast. Best $25 I ever spent on a media device. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

I've tried that VideoStream Chrome app. It's OK as a video player but not great. It often has trouble playing a video where it will just sit there showing "Analyzing video" on the screen. Exit, come back in, restart video and it will play fine.

The Chromecast is pretty good for the price but the Roku is still much better. One thing I really like about the Roku 3 is that it has an earphone jack in the remote. I can plug headphones in there for late night movie watching.

If you're mainly concerned with price then Chromecast is the winner but if you want a more refined product then go with the Roku. Don't forget that Roku is a standalone unit. Plug it in to the TV and use it with it's included remote. The Chromecast by itself is useless, you need another device such as a laptop, Android or iOS device to control it. If you include the cost of the other device required by the Chromecast then it becomes expensive. Fortunately, most of us already own such a device.

Back
Top Bottom